Is Jamf Composer able to produce PKG or DMG that can deployed via Intune

wdeguara
New Contributor

Is Jamf Composer able to produce PKG or DMG that can deployed via Intune ?

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Unless I'm mistaken, the answer is no. I believe (not really 100% sure this is still the case) that InTune requires a proprietary .intunemac format for deployment to Macs. There's a standalone tool called Microsoft InTune Wrapping Tool for macOS that Microsoft issues for this purpose.

If this is still all true, then Composer wouldn't be able to produce packages that would work in InTune directly since it only creates standard Apple .pkg or .dmg formatted packages.

That being said, my information may be a little out of date. It's possible Microsoft has changed things and now uses standard Apple formats, but if so, I haven't heard of this.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Apparently .pkg support is in public preview for Intune, but there's currently some sort of mechanism that lets you wrap a .pkg for Intune deployment (which looks to be a PITA) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/apps/lob-apps-macos

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@wdeguara The .dmg output of Composer is a deployment format specifically for Jamf Pro, but a .pkg generated by Composer should be deployable by any MDM that supports .pkg files or something that could be manually run by the user (digitally signing the package would be a good idea/probably be required)