is PatchBot using anybody in the PROD environment

VijaySekharNaid
New Contributor II

https://github.com/Honestpuck/PatchBot
Hi anybody using this tool ? I have a few doubts.

1. Is it 100% free tool. ( as per the blog, he Bought "Kinobi" tool to quality patch definition.)
  2. is there any flow chart of PatchBot, how it works?
  3. is it auto create package and deployment for new version of applications?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

honestpuck
Contributor

Well, as the author, I do use it in production. At this stage I don't know of anybody else using it.

Yes, PatchBot is free. I do pay for my patch definitions but, as I explain, you can run the open source version of Kinobi and do your own patch definitions and that doesn't cost you anything. I had a look at that task and the price of a Kinobi subsciption and decided it was a good deal. I've buried it as a Jamf Pro add on into my Jamf Pro budget.

To answer #2, the only documentation for the system are the five blog posts that detail it. Documentation may appear one day. I will also be presenting at JNUC this year. A flow chart is fairly high on the list of tasks.

To answer #3, yes. The purpose of PatchBot is to totally automate the building and deployment of new versions of your applications. If you can get AutoPkg to build the packages then PatchBot can do the rest. There are some apps that AutoPkg can't build but that list is shrinking as people write more recipes. I have yet to make public any of my recipes, that's another item on my todo list.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

honestpuck
Contributor

Well, as the author, I do use it in production. At this stage I don't know of anybody else using it.

Yes, PatchBot is free. I do pay for my patch definitions but, as I explain, you can run the open source version of Kinobi and do your own patch definitions and that doesn't cost you anything. I had a look at that task and the price of a Kinobi subsciption and decided it was a good deal. I've buried it as a Jamf Pro add on into my Jamf Pro budget.

To answer #2, the only documentation for the system are the five blog posts that detail it. Documentation may appear one day. I will also be presenting at JNUC this year. A flow chart is fairly high on the list of tasks.

To answer #3, yes. The purpose of PatchBot is to totally automate the building and deployment of new versions of your applications. If you can get AutoPkg to build the packages then PatchBot can do the rest. There are some apps that AutoPkg can't build but that list is shrinking as people write more recipes. I have yet to make public any of my recipes, that's another item on my todo list.

mvijy
New Contributor

Thank you @honestpuck for your reply.
I have few more doubts 1. How Autopkg.sh file connects MS Teams ? in the script not mentioned any account / credentionals details.
2. What is format of packages.txt? Suppose I need a chrome, adobe and firefox. How can i add them in the file.
3. What is JPserver ? (It's mentioned in the 2nd blog)

mvijy
New Contributor

Is this PatchBot supports only whatever JAMF supports Patch definitions or other application definitions as well?

List of apps which are supports by JAMF
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/458/patch-management-software-titleslink text