Is There A Way To Have Jamf Report On The Color Of The MacBook Pro?

john_sherrod
Contributor II

Would love a simple way to look and see whether a user has silver or space gray.

5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@john.sherrod You could probably determine the device's color from the serial number, but I haven't seen any published info on that.

RWitt
New Contributor II

Do they have different model numbers?

john_sherrod
Contributor II

Ooh, good question. The product numbers are different, but I can't find where Jamf tracks those. For example: MLW82LL/A.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The product numbers for devices are not captured by Jamf, and there's no way I know of to capture them. The problem is there's nothing on the device itself that stores that information. I've looked nearly everywhere I can think of for them (for a different purpose), and have done searches online, and it just isn't there as far as I can tell. It's just something Apple uses internally to track the different specific sales model information, but the Mac's themselves are not aware of that info.

Also, since the hardware specs themselves are going to be identical between the different case colors, in most cases, I don't think you can do something like, scan for CPU and other hardware data and try to determine what the external color is.

bburdeaux
Contributor II

You can absolutely determine model, color, and storage size of iPads from the serial number, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case for the MacBooks, but I don't have any of the new MBPs to test this theory with.