iTunes Error(s) When Syncing Multiple JSS-Enrolled Devices

almontschools
New Contributor

I have set up a cart of 20 iPads that are all enrolled in the JSS (for inventory purposes, mostly) but there is a laptop running iTunes (11.0.3.42) on top of the cart that is meant to be the means of syncing the iPads and putting apps on them. I don't seem to have any problems when syncing one iPad but as soon as I try to sync all 20, on almost every single iPad I get the error message, "iTunes could not back up the iPad (Insert iPad Name Here) because a session could not be started".

I understand that because these iPads have an MDM installed, iTunes requires them to have an encrypted backup. I was able to successfully set a password for the backup on each one by syncing them one at a time. I also understand that the usual fix for this error is to restart iTunes and/or the computer (Windows 7 PC Laptop in this case) and restart the iPad. I went through and restarted all 20 of the iPads and am still experiencing this error message.

The iPads do an automatic backup everytime they are plugged in, all 20 of them. If there were a way to disable automatic backups (like this: http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/16/disable-automatic-itunes-backup-of-ios-devices/ but for a PC and for iTunes 11), this problem would be solved but I have yet to figure something out.

I've been scratching my head on this one for 2 weeks now and I could use some help. Would un-enrolling all of the iPads solve my problem(s)?

0 REPLIES 0