Jamf App Catalog and licensed software

DrumBum213
New Contributor II

Should I create smart computer groups for each of my licensed software that I want to keep updated with Jamf App catalog? I am concerned that if I choose all of my managed clients, the catalog will install licensed software on my assets that did not purchase a license. Also curious that if I use Jamf App Catalog to keep Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox updated will it only update the assets that have it installed or will it install the latest version on all of my assets?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@DrumBum213 The Jamf App catalog deployments don't deploy apps configured with license files, so it would not make sense to scope one to any Macs that shouldn't be licensed, and you'll need to set up a separate policy to deploy the license configuration.

On the question of updating Chrome of Firefox, the Jamf App catalog installs only update Macs that are in scope for the deployments, so it won't update all of your assets unless you have all of them in scope for a deployment.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@DrumBum213 The Jamf App catalog deployments don't deploy apps configured with license files, so it would not make sense to scope one to any Macs that shouldn't be licensed, and you'll need to set up a separate policy to deploy the license configuration.

On the question of updating Chrome of Firefox, the Jamf App catalog installs only update Macs that are in scope for the deployments, so it won't update all of your assets unless you have all of them in scope for a deployment.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@DrumBum213 I should have mentioned that you can use Jamf's Patch Management system to force updates for applications that aren't installed via the Jamf App Catalog (those should automatically update). When you use Patch Management and set up a Patch Policy to enforce a specific version of an app it will by default target any older version of that app installed in your environment, even if it was an app the user manually installed.