Jamf binary clears user settings (like volume icon) after each reboot

akamenev47
Contributor II

Hi,

I have tried looking to find anything on this, but so far have been unable to. The issue is with macs user settings (like volume or bluetooth icon), if set to show on the top bar, after reboot it defaults to not show the icon as it was initially by default.

I have initially thought it was an issue with configuration profiles, but after removing ALL configuration profiles, including the MDM ones which are initially installed during enrollment - it still happens. What is really weird is that even after I completely removed the JAMF framework (sudo jamf removeFramework) - it still happens o-O. It did not happen before I initially enrolled my test machine, so it seems like JAMF "breaks" something permanently during enrollment...

Has anybody dealt with this issue / has any suggestions on how it can be fixed or at least a work around?

Thanks!

Ahoy!
3 REPLIES 3

gda
Contributor

Do you run any scripts to set the default settings?
If so, pls check permissions of the users plist files.

akamenev47
Contributor II

Hi,

Nope, there no such scripts, the only script which could affect this is WiFi preferred list, but it only runs once a week and is the only script which runs as Login trigger.

I have also checked the permissions for the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file permissions and it's:
current_account (Me): Read & Write
everyone: No Access

It seems like this file gets reset to default after reboot for some reason...

Ahoy!

akamenev47
Contributor II

oh well I wasn't able to determine what exactly causing the issue and just put together 2 scripts + 2 policies, 1 policy makes reserve copy of the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file once a week triggered by check-in and another policy restores that file each time at login, it is sort of a patch, not the solution, but it is working very well!

Ahoy!