Jamf Configuration Profiles Stuck Pending

dthompson1
New Contributor II

I am having a handful of systems with Configuration Profiles stuck in pending state. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

These systems are all Automatic Device Enrolled, they are checking regularly to jamf. I have tried having them reboot, sending blank push from management commands. 

These commands have been pending for months.

dthompson1_0-1636651073828.png

48 REPLIES 48

jonw
Contributor

Stuck pending profiles are a symptom of MDM identity or mdm communication errors, not the other way around. The EA simply alerts you of such an issue before you stumble across any related stuck pending profile(s) they create.  It at least eliminates this as a variable in troubleshooting (even proactively if you implement a smart group with alert).  But it's not going to alert you of stuck profiles in general if that's what you're after.  

jonw
Contributor

Frankly I don't see why Jamf couldn't add a smart group criteria value for 'profile pending'.  Then we could at least get crafty with detection.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

It's time for a feature request!

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I created this feature request to give us the smart group criteria to track down Macs with MDM issues.

https://ideas.jamf.com/ideas/JN-I-28425

still under Reviewing since March 2024

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

After I opened a case with Jamf about our MDM communication issues, I got these three extension attributes.

#!/bin/bash
result=$(log show --style compact --predicate '(process CONTAINS "mdmclient")' --last 1h | grep "Unable to create MDM identity")
if [[ $result == '' ]]
then
echo "<result>MDM is communicating</result>"
else
echo "<result>MDM is broken</result>"
fi

#!/bin/bash

APNS_certificate=`/usr/sbin/system_profiler SPConfigurationProfileDataType | awk '/Topic/{ print $NF }' | sed 's/[";]//g'`

if [[ "$APNS_certificate" = "" ]]; then
      echo "<result>"NA"</result>"
  else
      echo "<result>"$APNS_certificate"</result>"
  fi

#!/bin/bash

theIDs=$(security find-identity -v | awk '{print $3}' | tr -d '"' | grep -E '^[A-Za-z0-9]{8}-[A-Za-z0-9]{4}-[A-Za-z0-9]{4}-[A-Za-z0-9]{4}-[A-Za-z0-9]{12}$')

echo $theIDs

if [ -z "$theIDs" ]; then
	echo "<result>ERROR - There appears to be zero keychain identities matching a UUID on this system.</result>"
	exit 1
else
	echo "At least one keychain identity found on this system, proceeding..."
fi

for i in $theIDs; do
	info=$(security find-certificate -c "$i" | grep issu | awk '{print $3, $4, $5, $6, $7}' | tr -d '"')
	echo $info
	if [[ $info == *"BUILT-IN CERTIFICATE AUTHORITY"* ]]; then
		echo "found you!"
		expiry=$(security find-certificate -c "$i" -p | openssl x509 -noout -enddate | cut -f2 -d"=")
		echo "<result>$theIDs + $expiry</result>"
	fi
done
exit 1

For the first one you may want to change the timeframe. I changed it to "--last 1h". Originally, it was "--last 1d". That may take a while to generate results. I figure 1 hour should be enough time to analyze in the log. These have helped a lot. They basically solve the problem of tracking which Macs are having MDM issues. I created two smart groups, one called "MDM Communication Bad" and another called "MDM Communication Good". If a Mac fails any of the three tests, it is "bad". To be "good", it must pass all three tests. I am a Jamf Now customer. I ran these through CodeRunner on my personal MacBook Pro. They work the same as with a Mac enrolled in Jamf Pro. I hope these help others with MDM issues.

This looks like something I'd like to add to my Jamf Pro instance so I can be proactive in detecting MDM communication issues with my fleet.  I created the EA's and the two smart groups.  Is there a particular value that would be used in those smart groups for reporting?

MoJo
New Contributor

re-enroll machine in jamf sudo jamf removeframework , noway around 

I have 15 machines with couple of configuration profiles stuck on pending very annoying.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I made some changes to the EAs that I posted earlier this year to make using them with smart groups easier. They're posted below:

MDM identity certificate check

#!/bin/bash

theIDs=$(security find-identity -v | awk '{print $3}' | tr -d '"' | grep -E '^[A-Za-z0-9]{8}-[A-Za-z0-9]{4}-[A-Za-z0-9]{4}-[A-Za-z0-9]{4}-[A-Za-z0-9]{12}$')

echo $theIDs

if [ -z "$theIDs" ]; then
	echo "<result>"Failed"</result>"
	exit 1
else
	echo "At least one keychain identity found on this system, proceeding..."
fi

for i in $theIDs; do
	info=$(security find-certificate -c "$i" | grep issu | awk '{print $3, $4, $5, $6, $7}' | tr -d '"')
	echo $info
	if [[ $info == *"BUILT-IN CERTIFICATE AUTHORITY"* ]]; then
		echo "found you!"
		expiry=$(security find-certificate -c "$i" -p | openssl x509 -noout -enddate | cut -f2 -d"=")
		echo "<result>"Success"</result>"
	fi
done
exit 1

MDM APNS certificate check

#!/bin/bash

APNS_certificate=`/usr/sbin/system_profiler SPConfigurationProfileDataType | awk '/Topic/{ print $NF }' | sed 's/[";]//g'`

if [[ "$APNS_certificate" = "" ]]; then
      echo "<result>"Bad"</result>"
  else
      echo "<result>"Good"</result>"
  fi

MDM client communication

#!/bin/bash
result=$(log show --style compact --predicate '(process CONTAINS "mdmclient")' --last 1h | grep "Unable to create MDM identity")
if [[ $result == '' ]]
then
echo "<result>"Good"</result>"
else
echo "<result>"Bad"</result>"
fi

I used these to create a smart group called "MDM Communication Bad". If any of the criteria using these EAs is not a positive (good) result, then the Mac will be added to this group. I also added the MDM enrollment status found in a Mac's Jamf inventory record. I hope this helps. In most cases, a re-enroll of a Mac in JAMF Pro is what is needed. Sometimes, I have had to also run a "jamf removeFramework" command first. A Mac that is in Apple Business Manager can be re-enrolled by running "sudo profiles renew -type enrollment".

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 10.26.24.png