Jamf Management Commands for OS updates missing / won't send

jamfpigeon
New Contributor III

I'm getting ready for the first year that I'm not doing re-imaging. I've deleted our old student / mobile accounts, so the computers are a clean slate. All I want to do is run updates on each of our laptop carts.

But I can't. At least, not through Jamf. If I view the computer list, then select to Send Remote Command, then Update OS, I get "The remote command failed to send."

If I click on the computer, then go to Management, the buttons to Update OS are missing. This appears to be affecting all my computers.

All the computers are enrolled, managed, etc. I tried re-enrolling the computer, but to no affect. Any suggestions?

5368fef433584fa9aff0fd2fa5c7cb53

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jamfpigeon
New Contributor III

I found out why. It's in the description for the Commands. The buttons are there on my Staff computers, but not on the older student machines that I've been using traditional imaging all this time.

• Update OS version and built-in apps (macOS 10.11 or later, enrolled via a PreStage enrollment)

Hmm. I supposed I could delete the .AppleSetupDone and re-run the Prestage enrollment on the machines. I'll give that a try. Attached is a picture of the buttons I wanted. I could do it via ARD or Jamf Remote, but that requires me to babysit the computers. I wanted them to do it passively while I worked on other machines. I guess I could install ARD on a 2nd laptop ... but in the long run it'd be best to have them pre-stage enrolled.
768221c7ccf1463ebab5dd27b5149d91

View solution in original post

jtrant
Valued Contributor

If they are in your PreStage you can run: sudo profiles renew -type enrollment

This will trigger a DEP prompt and convert them to PreStage machines. An admin user will need to follow the management prompts and install the MDM profile.

If your only goal is to run updates you can leverage either the 'softwareupdate' binary or an MDM profile with the "Software Update" payload. Both of these should work regardless of enrolment type.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jamfpigeon
New Contributor III

I found out why. It's in the description for the Commands. The buttons are there on my Staff computers, but not on the older student machines that I've been using traditional imaging all this time.

• Update OS version and built-in apps (macOS 10.11 or later, enrolled via a PreStage enrollment)

Hmm. I supposed I could delete the .AppleSetupDone and re-run the Prestage enrollment on the machines. I'll give that a try. Attached is a picture of the buttons I wanted. I could do it via ARD or Jamf Remote, but that requires me to babysit the computers. I wanted them to do it passively while I worked on other machines. I guess I could install ARD on a 2nd laptop ... but in the long run it'd be best to have them pre-stage enrolled.
768221c7ccf1463ebab5dd27b5149d91

jtrant
Valued Contributor

If they are in your PreStage you can run: sudo profiles renew -type enrollment

This will trigger a DEP prompt and convert them to PreStage machines. An admin user will need to follow the management prompts and install the MDM profile.

If your only goal is to run updates you can leverage either the 'softwareupdate' binary or an MDM profile with the "Software Update" payload. Both of these should work regardless of enrolment type.

jamfpigeon
New Contributor III

Oooh! Thank you! I'll try that.

jamfpigeon
New Contributor III

Worked perfectly, thank you. Now I can issue commands again to the computers. I know I could do it with a profile or policy, but I'm stubborn in my workflow and this makes me happy. :)

They should all be managed this way anyway, so this will save me a lot of time.