Jamf pro cloud connection to on-prem Microsoft Certificate Authority

__AMM
New Contributor II

Hi friends,

I am new at Jamf and appreciate your help.

We use Jamf Pro in the cloud and we have a local Microsoft CA server.

My goal is to install certificates from the local CA using Jamf pro cloud on the mac devices.

I understand there are two ways to do this:

1. Using Jamf ADCS Connector

2. Using Jamf SCEP with local NDES server

Am I right?

What is the right and secure way to do it?

We also have Azure and Intune if that can help. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dfarnworth_b
New Contributor III

I'd be very interested in some more detail around this, diags/screenshots/gotchas/watchas etc if you have time to provide?

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

garybidwell
Contributor III

AD-CS is the way forward, but if you have Azure we found it easier to create a Azure proxy connection to the server running the AD-CS connector and publish it out that way (that vey similar to how Intune provide its certificates from the premise CA using its own internal connector)

__AMM
New Contributor II

That way there will be no need to open ports out?

Is there a guide on how to do this?

Thanks.

garybidwell
Contributor III

There's still ports to setup for the proxy in Azure, but it meant I didn't have to deal with our network team at all and punch more holes in the firewall.
I don't have a guide for the Azure side, as my Azure SME did this part for me, but for the Jamf side I pieced information from both Travelling Tech Guy's blog
https://travellingtechguy.blog
and watching Laurent's JNUC presentation on AD-CS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbQOG5rJBcQ&t=1683s

Setup is really in two parts
1) getting the AD-CS connector installed and communicating with Jamf

2) setting ups PKI and certificate templates for the payloads to the clients

The best tip I can give for the latter what Laurent mentions in his presentation of don't use an existing certificate template being used for Windows but create a new one specifically for the Mac's
If I have listened to this first around it would of saved a whole lot of time troubleshooting

SteveS
New Contributor III

I am seeing comments below indicating that this wouldnt work since the certs wont be passed through app proxy.  How did you get around that?

__AMM
New Contributor II

Thank you @garybidwell .

1. I installed the connector, and for -fqdn I used the full name of the server:

.\deploy.ps1 -fqdn jamfadcs.contoso.lan -jamfProDn contoso.jamfcloud.com -cleanInstall

2. I installed the Azure Proxy connector

3. I am in the process of creating the app in azure and not sure what data I should give in the internal Url (localhost or the name of the server?) and how to configure the other settings.

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 18.20.04.png

rseeley
New Contributor III

My understanding is this doesnt work 
https://macnotes.wordpress.com/2020/11/10/can-jamf-adcs-connector-use-azure-web-app-proxy/
Azure Application Proxy decrypts and re-encrypts the traffic it proxies and the Azure/cloud version doesn’t have native support for the client-certificate based authentication used by Jamf ADCD Connector. 

SteveS
New Contributor III

How did you ultimately solve this challenge?

rseeley
New Contributor III

Ah yeah, this one took me a few days to figure out ...In our environment, the purpose of this was to do cert based 802.1x authentication.

At first my intention was to use the SCEP server already setup for our windows based devices enrolled through intune, struggled with it but failed to get it to work. This was (as I later found out) due to the intune connector, it takes over SCEP preventing you from using it for other purposes. So I spun up a new SCEP server specifically for Mac devices to retrieve a cert from our Windows PKI.

Once that was clear the general steps were this:

• Create an AzureAD app
  • Install the the AAD App Proxy on the new SCEP server and link it back
  • Create service account 
  • Create cert template in PKI 
  • Go into JAMF -> Settings -> PKI Cert -> Management Cert Template -> External CA -> Configure this as a SCEP proxy, pointing to the URL of your Azure AD App. 
  • Create a Configuration Profile with the SCEP, Cert and Network information. 

LMK If you want screenshots or more detail, I know I glossed over a bunch of stuff.  

SteveS
New Contributor III

Thank you.  We are going with the dmz route on ADCS connector.

rseeley
New Contributor III

I likely would have done the same if I had a DMZ setup. But since I didnt ... 

can you help me with screenshot i struggling to do the same setup we have created a new Scep server for jamf and success we get the certificate the certificate is getting rejected by the radius server. 

i have question is the ipsec offline is mandatory 

not working for me ( unable to get client certificate )

dfarnworth_b
New Contributor III

I'd be very interested in some more detail around this, diags/screenshots/gotchas/watchas etc if you have time to provide?

for me also client certificate unable to issue , it works well with the default certificate issued via proxy , how to fix this ?

SteveS
New Contributor III

Did you get this fully working?  Did you do another work around?

__AMM
New Contributor II

I have not yet been able to make it work and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mbrown2157
New Contributor III

Just curious if you made any progress on this.  I am starting down the same path.

Karl941
New Contributor III

Any update, I am really curious too?

MannyKrishna
New Contributor II

ADCS is working for us to get client certificate but via Azure Proxy unable to get client certificate but i m getting default offline certificate IPSEC. : any advise here pls

Register the certificate template in registry to issue the certificate to Jamf.

By default the registry entry is ipsec, later i found NDES template was not register to issue as default certificate once you update this Template your CA authority will issue the registered certificate template.

MannyKrishna
New Contributor II

i have updated registry on below templates i have mentioned client certificate template created for JamfNDES
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\MSCEP
EncryptionTemplate

GeneralPurposeTemplate

SignatureTemplate

after making these changes now Configuration profile in pending state earlier it was working with default

You need to restart the server to apply the settings have you completed it.

Also add the fingerprint haash key to your configuration profile.

yes server have restarted already

MannyKrishna
New Contributor II

yes fingerprint hash key seems to be same and it have not changed ( i have checked it already )

bharathr1092750
New Contributor

So do you use this sever dedicated to JAMF.

If you have intune or any other mdm using the same server to get certificate, definitely this will not work and in jamf you might see pending .

you might need dedicated server 

For more understanding i might like to take look at all your setting , this need lot of understanding to set up its better let me know we can check this.

yeah sure i am wishing too. let me know how to proceed

MannyKrishna
New Contributor II

yes i am using fresh server setup and not shared with intune

and earlier with default certificate(IPSEC offline it worked well) when i hardcode registry with my certificate it is not issuing certificate and i dont know which log do i need to validate here 

bharathr1092750
New Contributor

Email me bharath.r@mindtree.com with meeting url lets get connected and check this together