Jamf Rebooting After Script Policy

HeightsCollege
New Contributor II

I have a Default Configuration Policy that runs a script to trigger other policys in the correct order. But the Default Policy INSISTS on rebooting the machine in 5 mins, even though i have the reboot payload set to Do Not Reboot (mostly to test the issue at the moment).

The problem with this is that there is another Policy that is set to run after this script...and it gets cut off half way through because it takes longer than 5mins...

I tailed the jamf log and found its does this, right after completing the last step in the policy:

Fri Oct 26 15:55:54 Jonathan's MacBook Pro (2) jamf[2635]: Blessing i386 macOS System on /...
Fri Oct 26 15:55:55 Jonathan’s MacBook Pro (2) jamf[2748]: Background Restart
Fri Oct 26 15:55:55 Jonathan’s MacBook Pro (2) jamf[2748]: Removing existing launchd task /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.task.reboot.plist...
Fri Oct 26 15:55:56 Jonathan’s MacBook Pro (2) jamf[2775]: Regular Restart

SYSTEM CONFIG:
JAMF 10.7.1-t1536934276
MacOS 10.13.5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HeightsCollege
New Contributor II

I have managed to find the problem! I went through each step individually of my script and found that one of my policy's I was triggering had a reboot payload set!

Running this for each step helped me find the issue.

sudo jamf policy -trigger <customtriggername>

If anyone needs to troubleshoot this themselves and are using Policy Chaining to deploy policy's. I'd recommend triggering each of your policy's manually to ensure they are all completing individually before putting them in to a script.

It was my first troubleshooting step but it seems I had checked all but this one policy.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

nvandam
Contributor II

I just had this happen to some users today. We use the Software Updates payload in a policy that runs once a day on all Macs. When 10.14.1 came out today it installed and then forced some users to reboot, even though we aren't using the restart payload in the policy. I have a case open now. Very weird.

HeightsCollege
New Contributor II

I have managed to find the problem! I went through each step individually of my script and found that one of my policy's I was triggering had a reboot payload set!

Running this for each step helped me find the issue.

sudo jamf policy -trigger <customtriggername>

If anyone needs to troubleshoot this themselves and are using Policy Chaining to deploy policy's. I'd recommend triggering each of your policy's manually to ensure they are all completing individually before putting them in to a script.

It was my first troubleshooting step but it seems I had checked all but this one policy.