JNUC 2013 - Thank you! (and ideas for 2014?)

cam
Contributor

Thank you to everyone in the community for a creating a truly amazing JNUC this year. Whenever you get a chance, we'd love to hear your ideas for next year. Have a safe trip home, and we hope to see you all again soon!
cam

36 REPLIES 36

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Compile the music played at JNUC and offer it for sale (via iTunes Store?). I'm sure the artists would like the idea. The eclectic mix was great last year, and even mo' great this year. I'm hoping others feel the same way. :)

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=5739

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Visit to Europe would be appreciated for those of use that couldn't make it to the USA.

mojo21221
Contributor II

Have QR codes on our name badges that send an email of your contact data and other pertinent data the person who scans them. For example "Hey its Joe user, we met at such and such and such time and I work for x company. I enjoyed chatting it up and now I can reconnect with you after the event." I've seen it done at other conferences and it can be a really quick way to send out and remember who all you connected with at the event. I also believe the event organizer leveraged some metrics on who all communicated which was helpful for internal planing and what not for future events.

andrewseago
Contributor

OOOOO I really like the QR code idea!

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

/ What they said :)

mzago
New Contributor III

I think the conference would be great for the beginners if there was a lab track covering a lot of the basics (intro to policies, etc. Then the talks could be catered to be big idea talks and more panels. I find the talks to be most useful when they're focused on bigger ideas with a lot of technical information (not necessarily demos). Lab formats would be great for introducing the more junior members of the community to scripting and other cornerstones of more advanced techniques to manage the Macs.

Oh and more free liquor tickets next JNUC happy hour please :).

talkingmoose

I was thinking of something similar to @mzago's suggestion. Something like JumpStart refreshers for particular subjects.

And more drink tickets would not suck. d:-)

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Can the passes have the JAMFNation avatars & handles?

mikedodge04
New Contributor II

I really like the QR code Idea. it might be worth mentioning that, maybe this should just be a short link to our jamf nation profile. I would also like to see a Friend/Connect/Follow button for social links, as well as facebook as an option.

DVG
New Contributor III

Voting up the QR code idea, populated with contact info, maybe email/Twitter/LinkedIn/etc.? That's only a hair over a thousand, right--not counting late arrivals? Should be no problem. ;)

Dusty VanGilder

MChivers
New Contributor II

Also Voting up the QR code idea, lots of people you meet and not always enough cards to have/pass out or even remember to bring them

MChivers
New Contributor II

Also Voting up the QR code idea, lots of people you meet and not always enough cards to have/pass out or even remember to bring them

benducklow
Contributor III

QR codes on the badges as mentioned would be great. Maybe an authentic JAMFNation/JNUC mobile app would be even better...maybe with a QR code reader built in ;)

Wakko
Contributor II

+1 That's a great idea for the QR code. Makes it so much easier to give and get info from users.

ShakataGaNai
New Contributor III

Post session schedules earlier! Even if they are a rough guide.

Company wants me to book flights way early so as to theoretically save money (though booking a month out was actually more expensive than 2 weeks out... stupid Delta). It'd be nice to be able to have a better idea of whats going on the last day before booking flights.

jconte
Contributor II

Las Vegas !!

Make the presentations available on iPads or some other means. There was so much valuable information that isn't posted and couldn't be written fast enough, especially since you cannot attend all of the sessions. Great information to share with management and use as a guide moving forward.

Please make the slides for all sessions available soon.

burnettb
New Contributor

I loved this year! As someone who just started with Jamf a few months ago, I vote for the idea of having a jumpstart refresher as well. I know where I want to learn a lot of the things that most already know, it would be nice to have a two hour session (or more) one day on a lot of intro topics like scripting (I would love to learn more about this. I unfortunately had to miss this presentation in favor of another that I really needed to go to at the same time) and pushing packages.

I know I was up on the endless bridge a lot (thanks to David Fink and his guys) and asked them to run me through a lot of the features and what they do. It would be awesome to have this as a long session for beginners. Thanks!

david_yenzer
Contributor II

I was unhappy faced when I didn't get a new JAMF bag as swag!

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

I know it has been put in the "Yes" and then "No" categories in the past, but any chance we could get JAMF swag on the store? Keep the Hoodie special as you like, but at least let us buy polo shirt and t-shirts. At worst its free walking billboards for JAMF, at best its a small revenue stream.

Just my $0.02

ernstcs
Contributor III

@david.yenzer, did you go to the event on Wednesday night? There was a monster stack of JAMF bags and coasters to take what you like. Well...at least I did when I headed out. It wasn't obvious though so I don't blame you for feeling unhappy if you missed them.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

please send me a t shirt :(

bentoms

@tkimpton... I'm scheming. I'll arrange a beer later this month/next & will divulge.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

@bentoms..cool, look forward to that :)

ernstcs
Contributor III

Y'all have great ideas.

+1 for the QR codes
+1 for the Avatars and Handles on the badges (you're already printing a custom badge per person...)
+1 for more drink tickets

Personally, I'd pay an extra fee to have fast and reliable private WiFi. You could sign up ahead of time for it during registration so you can get an idea of how many people will be using it and ask how many devices they plan to use. Have a cut off date. The hard part isn't getting the bandwidth to the building, it's the WiFi infrastructure.

I don't have much else to add really. The event was great. I am concerned that if you get much bigger the Guthrie won't sustain your needs, which is too bad because it has character unlike a traditional conference facility. The 9th floor theater was often at or over capacity for seating.

Get the presentations and videos out as fast as you can! And then do it twice as fast as you can.

If you need to bring any users to Europe, let me know. ;)

charliwest
Contributor II

Any ideas on dates for 2014? I would love to try and come along.

As for wifi trouble, how many people do you have come to these? We have a big conference every 6 months and have a pretty good wifi set up for these, maybe you could take a look at our set up in our May at Warsaw? Oh and you could run the CSE in warsaw instead of Amsterdam that week so I don't miss it :D

keaton
Contributor
Contributor

I think the use of Eventjoy would be awesome. Lots of features...for free!
https://www.eventjoy.com/

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Would be nice to get the venue/dates early this year so we can block out the week on our end.

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/events/

A lot of the JNUC 2013 sessions were standing room only (attendance balooned up to 1,200 or so)...seems like we've outgrown the Guthrie Theater. I wonder if JNUC 2014 will be in the newly constructed building? :)

Don

--

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

Agreed with @donmontalvo Its budget time, and it would be nice to know when it is early

ernstcs
Contributor III

@donmontalvo as much as I'd LOVE to see the JNUC in Eau Claire I can't imagine that happening if that's what you were eluding to. The new JAMF building isn't THAT big, but for this town it's pretty big. That would be something else though, having it at the Casper birthplace. If only UW-Eau Claire could actually handle you people at that time of year. The real logistical killer is not having a major airport in town. Granted you can fly up from O'Hare (ugh). Second up to the airport is I don't think we could handle the parking needs when school is in session.

I'd equate that fantasy to the Super Bowl making its way back to Lambeau Field some year for another Ice Bowl. As incredibly awesome as that would be it ain't ever gonna happen.

ClassicII
Contributor III

JNUC 2013 was a great event!

The only downers were some of the conf rooms were standing room only and as Craig mentioned the WIFI

Again I know this is a technology event and almost every one has a device connected but it was the worst. Most of us could not even get a web page to load. :(

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Is there another large venue in downtown Minneapolis that could handle the JNUC? I'm sure there is, just don't know what and where. The thing about the Guthrie, besides being a beautiful place, is the location. Anyone coming into town not wanting to rent a car can easily take the train system in to be within a few blocks of the Guthrie, so its kind of an ideal spot. It might be hard to find something that easy to get to.
I wasn't at JNUC 2013 but sounds like it was getting a bit cramped. If JAMF wants to keep it there as I imagine they do, they may have to put a cap on registration like Apple does with WWDC. While that would suck in some ways, its a sign of serious growth so its not all bad.

I'd also agree with @ernstcs - Eau Claire's a pretty town and all, but it ain't a good place for something like the JNUC. And yeah, the airport there, if you can even call it an airport, is a joke. Like pretty much 1 flight in and out a day and if you miss those, you're SOL in flying out that day! I know, it happened to me once!

I do hope to make it there this year since I missed the last. Hopefully JAMF can figure out a way to make it all better with regards to overcrowding and poor wi-fi (wireless was pretty bad in 2012 too!)

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@ernstcs wrote:

@donmontalvo as much as I'd LOVE to see the JNUC in Eau Claire I can't imagine that happening if that's what you were eluding to.

Yea, wishful thinking I suppose. :)

--

TomDay

well said by @mm270, I mentioned this to some Jamf people last year, questioning if there were more rooms available that were bigger. Guthrie is beautiful, and in a great location. Some prelim info on dates etc would definitely be great for our planning.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@tommyday wrote:

Some prelim info on dates etc would definitely be great for our planning.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10431

--

TomDay

How did I miss that ;-)
Thx @donmontalvo

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

An idea for JNUC 2014: a schwag bag for presenters that includes a JAMF t-shirt, like the "We code all winter" shirt, or something specially designed for JNUC presenters.