JSS 10.7.1 and check in triggers

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello Everyone,

We are on JSS 10.7.1 and ever since moving to it, we are finding a number of Macs having issues with check in triggers. We have Macs that are wiped and reinstall the OS using the startosinstall function. Prior to updating to 10.7.1, everything was working flawlessly.

Now, a Mac wipes as expected and re-enrolls. The first policy to run is triggered on enrollment and this runs fine and restarts. However, after re-enrolling and restarting, the computer literally hangs up and doesn't check in at all. I left a Mac on overnight and the inventory record doesn't show any check in or updating of inventory, which is set to occur every 24 hours and usually at night in case of desktops.

The question is, do any of you see this same behavior? A Mac enrolls and hangs out and doesn't check in again? We can send using Jamf Remote a sudo jamf policy or recon command to the computer and this forces it to begin doing what it should. Otherwise, it lies dormant and not a thing happens.

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts.

7 REPLIES 7

Look
Valued Contributor III

Another restart perhaps? Sounds like the launchDaemon that schedules the checkin hasn't loaded. This guys specifically.

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.task.1.plist

Or at least it is on ealrier versions of JAMF

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I thought I posted on this earlier, but looks like not. I was going to say the same thing, to check on the LaunchDaemon, since that's what controls the check-in trigger. Maybe it's not loaded, or maybe it loaded, but has an error?
You can check the status by running something like this

sudo launchctl list | grep jamf

It should list the LaunchDaemon. It might show 2, but the one labeled something like com.jamfsoftware.task.Every x Minutes is the one in question. The output will show the daemon's exit status (second column), which should be 0. If it's anything but that, there's a problem. It may also show nothing, which would mean it's not loaded.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

We had an issue from Jamf version 10.6 or 10.5 where the enrollment would never quite complete and would return an error code as well as loop all the enrollmentComplete policies over and over. Maybe check the JSS logs on that machine.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @gshackney and @mm2270, we found an issue since upgrading to 10.7.1. The computers are falling to sleep and they aren't even sending a signal to the JSS. Somehow, it appears they entered hibernation or some state where the client won't wake enough to reach out to the JSS.

Our workaround was the create a smart group and look for computers enrolled in the past 24 hours. We created a simple config profile where the energy saver settings are set so the Mac would never sleep but the screen saver would at least start. This new group is scoped to the profile and now, when the computer reboots after getting the OS loaded and is finally enrolled, the remaining check ins, policies and other deployment stuff all work as expected.

Not sure what changed, but I did give support a heads up.

Look
Valued Contributor III

@mconners Have you tried watching a machine as it DEPs, We previously had an issue where the DEP enrollment was literally taking over an hour to move to the next screen after initiating and machines were falling asleep mid way through, as soon as you woke them up they would complete.
After a JAMF upgrade this behaviour went away as DEP enrollment dropped to a minute or so unfortunately I can't give the original cause because it sort of fixed itself....

a_stonham
Contributor II

Have you updated your quick add packages to use 10.7.1 binaries? It may be it’s hanging on the binary upgrade. If you are using a Quick Add created on an earlier version of Jamf.

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @a.stonham we aren't deploying any quick add packages as the binary is automatically loaded on enrollment via DEP. We only use Quick Add as a last resort if the Mac isn't behaving and we have to pull it out of the JSS and re-enroll.

@Look we have bee watching the DEP enrollment process and you are correct. Back a while ago, the Macs could take a very long time to enroll. Periodically, we do some housecleaning of the JSS to "tune up" things by running a couple of commands such as repair and optimize. These were given to us by Jamf support as a way to clean things up.

Lately though, DEP has been enrolling Macs really fast which is nice.

Our main issue related to post though is resolved if we prevent the Mac from sleeping.