JSS 9.4 - Cannot distribute managed apps

stvkellogg
New Contributor

I've got a serious problem regarding managed apps. I've purchased apps selecting the "managed" option. I received notification from Apple that the apps were ready. I've scoped them to a group of iPads. Users see then in Self Service but when they try to install the progress indicator just spins forever and a notification in JSS says the "app is not available."

Apps purchased with VPP codes get distributed properly but I would like to be able to revoke and reassign apps using the "managed" option. If anyone has a suggestion as to what to try in order to resolve the issue I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Steve

14 REPLIES 14

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

Have the users already accepted their VPP invitations?

stvkellogg
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. When purchasing apps with the "Managed" option rather than the method involving redeeming VPP codes it didn't look like there were invitations involved (at least didn't see the option) - the app simply appears in the Self Service of the devices in the scope. If I've missed something I would be very grateful for any help.

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

Here are the things that I'm aware of that need to happen for the managed apps:

1. VPP Account app was purchased with needs to be associated with the JSS using token.
  2. Users need to be associated with devices in JSS and have AppleIDs.
  3. These users need to have accepted a VPP invitation from that VPP account in the JSS.
  4. VPP Assignment needs to be scoped to applicable users.

stvkellogg
New Contributor

Thanks again. Would you mind describing the steps for #3 in your reply? My users have been finding the apps in Self Service but when they try to install I see a message in JSS in the Manage screen for their device saying "Pending. The app is not available to install."

Thanks again for your help - I really appreciate it.

Steve

stvkellogg
New Contributor

One other note - users have no trouble installing apps I've purchased using the option to upload VPP redemption codes. They see the apps in Self Service and tap to install them. It's only managed apps that are not able to be installed. The show up in Self Service but then the progress indicator just spins perpetually and the "app is unavailable to install" message appears in JSS in the Manage screen for the devices.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@stvkellogg, I talked with my the person doing my Health Check about app distribution using the new VPP 2 program and he indicated that Self Service really doesn't have to be used at all. He stated if they have Automatic Downloads turned on for Apps on the device in Settings -> iTunes & App Store the app will just show up on their home screen. Otherwise, they would have to log into the App Store with their AppleID that has been linked to the VPP 2 program in the JSS and go to Purchased and Tap the download icon to download and install the app. I mentioned that using this method doesn't notify end users that they have a new application to install. Hopefully the new version 9.4 will add some notification mechanism to make this process work better than it does in 9.3.1.

Malcolm
Contributor II

I put together this short video for our students/parents for our iPad users.
http://www.alamandacollege.vic.edu.au/self-service-vpp.mp4

With version 9.4 you can add the invitation process to self-service, as we have users without the capacity of remembering their itunes password, accessing it from self-service provided a reliable location parents could find, if the pop up prompt was cancelled by the user.

The VPP managed apps, are all managed within the users section of JSS.
It seems you still need to have the paid apps within the Apps section, but they will only install automatically for those who have access to the VPP managed distributed license, providing they have agreed to the Apple ID.

Having the user enable automatic app downloads on their itunes settings, will make them automatically down the app when the licence is provided to them, providing they haven't downloaded it against that associated apple id on that device in the past.

There is also a known bug with VPP managed distribution, if you have a proxy, it will unlikely work. Jamf is currently working on a fix.

stvkellogg
New Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I'll try having students turn on automatic downloads and will view the video provided by Malcolm. Students do all have Apple IDs that have been confirmed and they can install apps using the VPP redemption code method (right in Self Service without invitation)- it's only managed apps that they're not able to install. I'll follow the suggestions and see how it goes.

Thanks again,

Steve

dpenny
New Contributor III

Malcolm,
Could you elaborate a little on the proxy issue with VPP managed distribution? Is this an issue when the JSS is connecting to the Internet through a proxy server or when the user's iPad is connecting through a proxy server? We are having some issues with a number of users not getting their managed apps and they connect through a proxy server when off-campus. Wondering if it is related to the bug you mentioned.

We just upgraded to 9.4 last night. Does adding the invitation to self-service require the self-service iOS app or will it work in the older web clip?

Thanks,
Doug

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@dpenny

The known issue @Malcom is likely referring to is D-007438.

What we see is, if a proxy is in place between the JSS and Apple, that the proxyHost settings appear to not be respected and it’s causing communication timeouts.

When that happens, we see failures around Managed VPP app installations.

Our Development team is aware of the issue and they are currently working on a fix.

If your users are seeing problems getting their managed apps when connecting through the proxy, but do not have trouble when they’re not connected to a network using a proxy, that’s likely what’s happening.

If that’s not what we’re seeing, there may be something else going on that is unrelated to D-007438, and we'd want to do some additional troubleshooting.

Thanks! Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

joalah
New Contributor II

Malcolm,
Thanks for you video. How did you set up your self service so that it shows vpp invitation in it as well as the tabs along the bottom
Thanks
Joalah

conitsupport
Contributor

Im getting failed commands in the JSS for ipads status License for app "com.google.chrome.ios" could not be found and other google doc products and other free apps, no issues with paid apps? this is not every ipad and not every user some its a bit baffling? iver cancelled commands and sent blank push numerous times. Also when i go to self service to down load these apps the circle spins and then goes back to the install button, i can though down load from the app store fine?

anyone any ideas thanks.c37e74dd3dee402fa71b1d2fa37bda59

MikeyD
New Contributor II

More importantly "conitsupport" - how did you add the additional "Set Wallpaper" functionality? Please confess!

Emmert
Valued Contributor

The iPad needs to be supervised for that option to be available. The easiest way to accomplish this is to put all of your iPads in DEP.