JSS 9.90 Error 1603 attempting to upgrade from 9.81 on Windows

BP12C
New Contributor III

Howdy,

I'm receiving an error when attempting to upgrade from 9.81 to 9.90 on a Windows 2012 R2 server.

The following error message is displayed in the logs.

JSS (c) (88:01) [10:08:59:855]: JSS_BACKUP_DIR=C:Program FilesJSSBackupsJSS-20160401-100859 Info 2826. Control Bitmap_1 on dialog CancelDlg extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 7 pixels. Exception thrown by custom action: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Exception: There was an unexpected error running 'robocopy.exe "C:Program FilesJSS" "C:Program FilesJSSBackupsJSS-20160401-100859JSS" /b /copyall /R:2 /W:5 /e /XD temp backups logs work /LOG:"C:Program FilesJSSBackupsJSS-20160401-100859JSS-Backup.log"'! ---> System.TimeoutException: Running 'robocopy.exe' timed out after '60' seconds. at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.Utilities.LaunchExe.Run() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.Utilities.LaunchExe.Run() at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.Utilities.FileOperations.RoboCopy(String sourcePath, String targetPath, String args) at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.Backup.JssDirectory() at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.CustomActions.BackupJss(Session session) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture) at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr) CustomAction JSS_InstallUtilities_CA_BackupJss returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox) Action ended 10:09:59: JSS_InstallUtilities_CA_BackupJss. Return value 3. Action ended 10:09:59: INSTALL. Return value 3. MSI (s) (84:E4) [10:09:59:952]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603

The Robocopy log does not show any errors.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Can I skip the backup step during the install?

Was excited to see the new installer... for a little while at least ;)

Cheers,
Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BP12C
New Contributor III

So I did a little snooping to see what I could remove from the install directory to speed up the backup.

The TomcatwebappsROOT directory contains about 5,000 tiny files. We don't have customisations so I removed it.

Install went through fine and recreated the ROOT directory.

I'd suggest holding off for a proper fix but if you're desperate this may be an option.

Do it at your own risk.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55

CapU
Contributor III

Wow. I'm holding off upgrading until I see good things mentioned about the installer. Were still on 9.82 and I have no plans to upgrade yet.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I upgraded from 9.82 to 9.92 in test environment and then in production.

My first attempt in 9.82 failed, my TAM said it was the known robocopy issue, but I simply retried the installer and it worked fine. He said if the retry didn't work to do the manual install.

Upgrading in production went smoothly without the robocopy issue using the regular installer.

The other strange thing I ran into was on production box, the installer forced me to login as local admin, whereas in test env it worked fine with domain admin credentials.

flammable
New Contributor

I did what @kentmj suggested (delete the contents of the webapps folder), and it worked.

I also had to make sure to move my 'inhouse' folder to the desktop:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=205

I'm thinking that's probably what caused robocopy to exceed the 60 second time limit the first time. Oh well. We're successfully running 9.92 now.

Pedz
New Contributor II

Just run into this issue on my test box from 9.82 to 9.93
Will be testing the manual install tonight.. surly this is an easy fix?

flammable
New Contributor

The solution I mentioned in the last post still works. I determined that our 'inhouse' directory for eBooks was causing the robocopy script to timeout, so for the last update, I just moved that to the desktop for the upgrade process (and moved it back afterwards). If you're storing anything in the C:Program FilesJSSTomcat directory, just remove that temporarily and you should be fine.

BP12C
New Contributor III

This appears to be resolved in 9.96.

Better late than never I guess!

JustDeWon
Contributor III

not resolved for me...

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Exception: There was an unexpected error running 'robocopy.exe "C:Program FilesJSS" "C:Program FilesJSSBackupsJSS-20161027-102625JSS" /b /copyall /R:2 /W:5 /e /XD temp backups logs work /LOG:"C:Program FilesJSSBackupsJSS-20161027-102625JSS-Backup.log"'! ---> System.TimeoutException: Running 'robocopy.exe' timed out after '300' seconds. at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.Utilities.LaunchExe.Run() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.Utilities.LaunchExe.Run() at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.Utilities.FileOperations.RoboCopy(String sourcePath, String targetPath, String args, String timeout) at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.Backup.JssDirectory(String timeout) at JAMF.JSS.InstallUtilities.CustomActions.BackupJss(Session session) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture) at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr) CustomAction JSS_InstallUtilities_CA_BackupJss returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox) Action ended 10:31:25: JSS_InstallUtilities_CA_BackupJss. Return value 3. Action ended 10:31:25: INSTALL. Return value 3. MSI (s) (50:24) [10:31:25:816]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603 MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed. MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation. MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0 MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0 MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0 MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerRollbackScripts 3: 2 MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerRollbackScripts 3: 2 MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerInProgress 3: 2 MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerInProgress 3: 2 MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1 MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: Restoring environment variables MSI (s) (50:DC) [10:31:25:816]: Destroying RemoteAPI object. MSI (s) (50:68) [10:31:25:816]: Custom Action Manager thread ending. MSI (c) (64:EC) [10:31:25:831]: Back from server. Return value: 1603 MSI (c) (64:EC) [10:31:25:831]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1 MSI (c) (64:EC) [10:31:25:831]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its current value is '1'. Action ended 10:31:25: ExecuteAction. Return value 3. MSI (c) (64:EC) [10:31:25:831]: Doing action: FatalError Action start 10:31:25: FatalError.

flammable
New Contributor

@JustDeWon, looks like robocopy is timing out after 300 seconds. Try this:

1. Figure out what's taking up so much space, that robocopy can't copy it within the allotted time. If you're unsure, windirstat is excellent for that.
  2. Move that data to a temporary location, such as the desktop.
  3. Run the JSS installer again.
  4. After a successful installation, move the data back to the original location.

JustDeWon
Contributor III

@flammable .. I had already moved the ROOT folder to desktop before posting this..

Was just saying that JSS 9.96 upgrade didn't resolve that particular issue. After moving ROOT folder, it worked as stated above on resolution..

flammable
New Contributor

It looks like Jamf's solution to this issue was to increase robocopy's timeout from 60 to 300 seconds. If you have too much data to copy in 300 seconds, you'll still need to move it to a temporary folder when running the installer.

BP12C
New Contributor III

@JustDeWon What's the JSS running on? Slow HDD's perhaps? If you're curious to see how long the backup would take you can run the robocopy command manually.

It'd be nice if they gave us the option to skip the backup.

flammable
New Contributor

My JSS is running in a Windows VM, and I have an 'inhouse' folder for distributing eBooks (as detailed at this link). There's more data in there than usual, and it's generally slower than an actual server.

powellbc
Contributor II

I tried clearing out the folder as described by @flammable (see post from May) and I still encountered errors. I am not saying you should not try it, but it may not be a silver bullet. In the end I am not sure what change I made that resolved this.

At some point I am going to move to manual installs and just do it that way.

BP12C
New Contributor III

Unfortunately, this is reoccurring with the 9.99.0 installer for us...

flammable
New Contributor

I haven't gotten to install 9.99.0 yet, but try this:

1. Check the logs and see where the installer is failing.
  2. If it's an issue with robocopy taking too long, that means you have more data than it anticipated - figure out where that's stored, and move it somewhere else temporarily (like the desktop). I mentioned our inhouse eBooks folder, but you might have data elsewhere. After the upgrade is successful, be sure to put the data back.

At this point, we do VM snapshots before attempting an upgrade. Rolling back a VM snapshot is easier than restoring a database and fixing a broken installation. :)

BP12C
New Contributor III

Thanks Mike.

I've already used my work around (removing the ROOT folder) from above but it's annoying that they have reintroduced this issue when it wasn't present in the last few version.