JSS emailing me every single time about stuff

cgordy
Contributor

Probably an easy fix - under the 8.71 version I had the JSS emailing me if certain smart groups changed and if certain policies encountered failures.
Upon installing 9.01, I get emails about everything.

For example, I have Restricted Software configured for FaceTime. We don't allow our students to use it.
The option to have the JSS email when this action occurs, IS unchecked, yet, I receive an email every single time a kid tries it.

I have looked thru the new JSS GUI and I cannot seem to find any global setting that says to email me on every event.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamF
Contributor II
Contributor II

Chad- There are a few items to look at, first being the restricted software item itself. Each item has a check box to enable email notifications. Also, if you'd like to globally disable email notifications for your account click the drop down arrow next to your account in the top right and select Email Notifications.

Unlike the 8.x series you cannot change global settings for accounts without logging into them. Hope that helps out.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SamF
Contributor II
Contributor II

Chad- There are a few items to look at, first being the restricted software item itself. Each item has a check box to enable email notifications. Also, if you'd like to globally disable email notifications for your account click the drop down arrow next to your account in the top right and select Email Notifications.

Unlike the 8.x series you cannot change global settings for accounts without logging into them. Hope that helps out.

cgordy
Contributor

Ahh, thanks Sam - it was in my account. Everything was selected, included Restricted Software Violations Occur.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I would still really really love to see some way to enable email notifications for failure PER policy. As it is, we will still get emailed about any policy errors, for ALL policies, if we have that option checked for our account. Simply put, some policies generate errors that are inconsequential, while others are worthy of our attention. I'd prefer not to see the ones that don't need my attention hit my inbox so I can actually focus on the ones that do need it.

SamF
Contributor II
Contributor II

Mike- That sounds like a great idea for a feature request if it's not already submitted. Kind of surprising since so many other items within the JSS have this type of configuration. Also, to followup with the original issue, it looks like there may be an issue specific to version 9 where emails to individual restricted software items may not be respected.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hi Sam,

I actually did create a Feature Request for this a while ago, although I don't know that I worded it in the way I did above. I think the status of the FR is UNder Review, so that's something.
You're right that many items, such as Smart Groups already have a simple checkbox to tell the JSS to include it in any email notifications, if a user's preferences are set for that, so it would make perfect sense to do this for policies as well.

The only issue I could see would be in a case of a multiple JSS admin environment. Admin A wants to be notified of failures for Policy X, but Admin B does not care about them. Who wins? I suspect that's a problem with no easy answer, so its probably best to just make it work the way the Smart Groups option works and leave it at that.