JSS -> Computer Management -> Scripts ->Edit, <CTRL - C> mapped to cancel??

MrP
Contributor III

Opening the site in Firefox 24.0 ESR, when I am editing a script, select some code, and hit <CTRL> -C on the keyboard the cancel button in the window is invoked..... You cannot right click on the text and click copy either....

A: If any changes were made to the script they are lost!
B: If you did it to move lines of the script elsewhere in the script you have to go back into edit mode to paste them.

Was the cancel button actually mapped to CTRL-C by JAMF programmers or am I overlooking something obvious?

I'm using JSS 9.2

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Is this being done while accessing the JSS from Windows? I'm assuming so since Command-C would be copy from a Mac, not Control-C. If so, I could see how this would cause some problems for those accessing the JSS from Windows.

And to answer your question, yes:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=328

View solution in original post

MrP
Contributor III

Looks like it has been 'fixed'! I'm running 9.2.2. I'm not sure at what point they changed it. Many thanks to the dev team!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jeremy_spolande
New Contributor

Good question, have been caught by this a few times in firefox within policies in the jss.

mm2270

Is this being done while accessing the JSS from Windows? I'm assuming so since Command-C would be copy from a Mac, not Control-C. If so, I could see how this would cause some problems for those accessing the JSS from Windows.

And to answer your question, yes:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=328

MrP
Contributor III

That is correct, this is being done in Windows. I am on a corporate network where as an admin I use windows for network administration.

MrP
Contributor III

This is just *slightly* vexing. It would be one thing if I could at least right click to copy. Being that I'm in the beginning of an implementation and have gobs of scripts to work on this is going to be ridiculously tedious.

jeremy_spolande
New Contributor

Lots of sys admins are going to need to use several systems, using windows most popular shortcut as cancel is silly.

MrP
Contributor III

I'm sure it was purely an oversight on JAMF's part and a patch will be issued post haste.

:D

mm2270

I don't have any firsthand information, but I suspect JAMF chose CONTROL as the modifier so as to avoid conflicts with most Mac applications that use Command or Option as their modifiers for keyboard shortcuts. Control is rarely used in any applications... except for Windows of course. :)
Back when JAMF was developing version 9 they mentioned they would be improving support for Windows browsers, so I also guess this was an oversight.

What would be ideal is one of two things (or possibly both)
1 - Allow JSS admins to turn keyboard shortcuts on/off. I'm not sure they'd allow remapping as that might be a bit difficult to implement and could cause even worse issues if you map it to something already in use elsewhere.
2- Make the JSS support User Agent detection, like many websites, and detect if you're using a Windows browser, and dynamically load a different shortcut key set for that user session - one that didn't use Control as the modifier. This could also be a bit hard to implement, so not sure how feasible it is, but it would be cool.

Either way, its pretty clear the keyboard shortcuts were implemented with an OS X JSS admin in mind.

What I would do is talk to your TAM and see if there is some relatively easy way to disable the shortcuts on the server side. If I were faced with a similar scenario I'd rather NOT have the shortcuts, than have then and have them conflict with normal operations like Cut, etc.

gabester
Contributor III

This has already burned me a number of times... not sure why if you're going to use a shortcut they wouldn't try to tie into <esc> instead of something that conflicts with the very common place bottom-row left 4 keys (zxcv) regardless of the modifier. Too much opportunity for mischief!

dwandro92
Contributor III

If Safari is an approved browser for the Windows machines in your environment, you could install it and view the JSS with it. Then, just copy the script code to an external editor and copy it back once you're done making changes. Granted this shouldn't have to be done, but it's a viable workaround for the time being until JAMF fixes the shortcut modifiers.

axnessj
New Contributor

I too have been burned by this. Made a Feature Request to remove ctrl-C or be able to remap the bindings.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1546

MrP
Contributor III

Looks like it has been 'fixed'! I'm running 9.2.2. I'm not sure at what point they changed it. Many thanks to the dev team!