JSS, iPads and Self Service Mobile - what am I doing wrong?

DanJ_LRSFC
Contributor III

We've had Casper Suite for several months now and have been using it successfully with our iMacs, Mac Minis and Macbooks.

Recently we purchased a few iPads (to be owned and managed by the college) but managing these with the JSS has not worked nearly as well, so I wonder if there's something I'm doing wrong.

I managed to get activation and enrolment of the first iPad working OK via DEP, and after some coaxing it was able to activate using the target end user's new Managed Apple ID which I created in Apple School Manager, but now I'm having issues with Self Service Mobile.

I've added some free apps in the Mobile Devices area of the JSS, and these show up in Self Service Mobile on the iPad, but when I tap INSTALL on an app it just spins the circle for a bit and then does nothing.

(EDIT: it does seem to be able to REINSTALL apps that I already installed manually, it just can't install apps I've never installed)

(EDIT 2: here's an error I am seeing under Failed Commands in the JSS: Install App - Microsoft OneNote – lists, photos, and notes, organized in a notebook 15.24.1 The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated.)

If I change the profile restrictions to enable the App Store, then I can go in and manually install the same free apps, but I don't want the end user to be able to install apps other than the ones made available through Self Service.

Currently the workaround I am using is that I am manually installing the apps via the App Store beforehand, then I'll switch the device to using a different profile with the App Store disabled. But this means that if the user subsequently needs any more apps, they'll have to actually bring their device in to me so that I can install them. This is no good.

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem?

Our Casper Suite/JSS is version 9.92, the iPad is running iOS 9.3.4 (the latest available stable version), the Apple ID is a Managed Apple ID created using Apple School Manager and has the Instructor role (as it's for a staff member).

Thanks,
Dan Jackson (Lead ITServices Technician)
Long Road Sixth Form College
Cambridge, UK

5 REPLIES 5

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@DanJ_LRSFC are you using VPP and Managed Distribution? If you're not, you might want to consider setting that up and giving that a try. Using the VPP and Managed Distribution model you would "purchase" licenses for the free apps you want to deploy and then you can deploy those apps through Casper using device assignment rather than having to depend on the AppleIDs. You can install through Self Service or automatically using this deployment model.

mmcallister
Contributor II

We have seen this message as well - updating purchased content and restarting the JSS has cleared it up each time for us.

kirsten60
New Contributor

I am seeing a similar instance and getting the message "This Apple ID can't be used to make purchases." The app tries to download 5 or 6 times and the message appears every time. Some of my iPads won't download any apps. Using JAMF 9.93 and iOS 9.3.4. This is only happening with students using a managed apple ID.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@kirsten60 you need to assign the VPP license to the device since Managed Apple IDs can't own apps. Take a look at the 9.93 Admin Guide page 607 step 10.

tjoshaughnessy
New Contributor

Thanks, had the same problem. Worked the way you suggested.