JSS keeps logging me off after upgrading to 9.97.1482356336

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

Hello JAMF Nation,

Any of you guys experiencing this issue?

I'm able to login to JSS but after few seconds of loading something like Exporting Saved Searches, Edit Static Groups, loading policies it logs me off.

It shouldn't log me off since i am not Idle in JSS and i just logged into JSS in less than 2minutes.

this started happening after upgrading to JSS 9.97.1482356336.

i have tried it on 2 browsers namely Google Chrome & Apple Safari. it keeps happening on chrome like everytime i try to export our "All Computers" saved search and though it happens in Safari, i was able to export after multiple retries.

it always logs me out when i do export: Computers > Select a Saved Search > View it will try to load and then it logs me off.

Sometimes it will load the list after clicking view but when i click NEXT it will log me off again. huhuhu...

Please help/advise...

Thank you in advance! :)

-Robert Alviar

24 REPLIES 24

SimonLovett
New Contributor III

Hi. First thing I would check in this situation is that the time and date on your server and the time on your client workstation are correct. Also, on the training courses, the trainers tend to recommend using Safari on the training courses, so I would maybe stick to getting it working correctly in Safari at least at first, rather than clouding the issue by using multiple browsers.

It might also help to clear all your cookies, etc, in Safari if you are able to, so as to have a clean browser to start with?

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I have also seen this happen when my JSS is not properly connected to AD (or other directory service). From time to time our techs will tell me they can't get in...usually I login with the local admin account to the JSS test AD and find it down. It's very rare but possible. You might also try bumping tomcat and MySQL ( again likely not fix this but something I might try In a pinch)

russeller
Contributor III

same here, still troubleshooting the issue. Seems pretty random.

Look
Valued Contributor III

Yup ours has been the same, it's not all the time, but just randomly logs you out when you try to move between functions or save changes.
Workable but annoying!

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

@SimonCU time and date on the server & on the client machine are synced to their corresponding timezones. for the browsers everything is working fine until the update was applied. regardless what browser i use before, i have not experienced being logged off while actively working in JSS. also tried clear cookies and browsing history, quit browser then relaunch but still the same issue. just tested it with Safari again and i experience the same problem.

@blackholemac i am using my LDAP account to login to JSS and it was confirmed that nothing was changed on the LDAP settings in JSS. what actually happens on my end is that i am able to login but suddenly got kicked out of JSS specially when loading the static group after clicking "EDIT" since it will take time to load. and it happens more frequently now than few days ago.

@ssrussell & @Look are you guys having the same issue after updating your JSS version to 9.97.1482356336 or you have a different version?

Thank you for all of your responses! :)

russeller
Contributor III

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ this can be frustrating...

Hey @RobertAlviar Yes, we are running the latest build. I did run a repair on my database and it found several corrupt tables . I haven't seen the issue crop up again, but I'll continue to watch it and see if that was the culprit.

I ran: mysqlcheck.exe -u root -p --auto-repair -o jamfsoftware (command will be different depending on your OS)

I also ran a repair on the myisamchk.exe command against my *.myi files after stopping the mysql service.

Again, not sure if this is the solution, but seems to be working okay so far.

EDIT: Definitely talk with your TAM if you are not comfortable with repairing mySQL

russeller
Contributor III

Update: issue is still happening. Going to contact my TAM next.

Look
Valued Contributor III

Yes ours has only been doing it since the upgrade and we are using AD accounts.

russeller
Contributor III

Yeah, we are using ad accounts as well.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Curious if you guys tried clearing your browser caches?

--
https://donmontalvo.com

russeller
Contributor III

@donmontalvo first thing I tried. Tried different browsers and also a freshly imaged Mac. I'm going to dive into the JAMFSoftware log and see if anything stands out.

SimonLovett
New Contributor III

Hi Robert, quick question - what did you upgrade from? If you have jumped a few major releases then you might have problems with your cyphers or something similar - there are a few things that don't automatically get configured - there are articles on here about those issues, although I can't recall the article id's off the top of my head - someone else will probably jump in with those :)

Also worth checking that you are using a compatible/recommended version of Tomcat (currently 8 something is recommended- it is in the release notes) and Java, also possibly your MySql server version although that feels less likely. Also which version of Java are you running?

Regards, Simon.

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

@SimonCU we have 9.92 then upgraded it to 9.97. we'll check if we have the compatible version of Tomcat and Java.

@donmontalvo I tried clearing my browser caches then Quit those then relaunch but still the same thing yesterday. As of now i am not experiencing the issue so far. and i'm using Google Chrome browser.

I am hoping it stays this way haha! i'll update you guys next week if it occurs again.

thank you! :)

SimonLovett
New Contributor III

In that case, you may well need to go from Tomcat 7 to Tomcat 8 and also update your Java.
You will probably see a slight performance hit unfortunately, but it could well help with your stability problems.

http://docs.jamf.com/9.97/casper-suite/jss-install-guide-mac/Requirements.html

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

@SimonCU below are the versions we currently have in our environment:

Operating System = Linux (2.6.32-642.3.1.el6.x86_64)
JSS Installed Version = 9.97.1482356336
Apache Tomcat Version = 8.0.39
Java Version = 1.8.0_91

thanks!

cvangorp
New Contributor III

We have seen this issue too since upgrading to 9.97 from 9.96. I have found Safari has been the best so far but going to contact TAM.

Chris

mtward
New Contributor III

We are seeing this issue constantly in our environment with our JSS user accounts tied to AD security groups. It seems to go in spurts where you get logged out instantly while editing or saving a policy/config profile. For a period of ~10 minutes yesterday the web interface was basically unusable because of this and then it was fine for hours once it started working again.

Hopefully there is some fixes and acknowledgment coming soon..

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

Still happening in our environment :(

dlondon
Valued Contributor

I can't understand why once authenticated to the Web application a finger could be pointed at AD as a problem.

Is anyone having this problem with accounts that are just local to the JSS?

russeller
Contributor III

@dlondon ive been using local JSS accounts as a workaround for this problem because they never kick us out.
Maybe, when editing or saving an object in the JSS your creds are being passed again to the JSS and failing.
As limited as my knowledge of web pages are, my impression was that when browsing a web page you're not actively connected. So once a page downloads you're disconnected from the web server. It's not until you initiate an action like hitting an edit button for example would the browser have to tell the JSS who you are. Maybe with some kinda session cookie something. I'm going to be over here if you need anything.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm seeing something that I'm not sure is related...

1. Create Advanced Computer Search.
  2. Check the Save this search box.
  3. Notice the only two buttons available are Cancel and Search...no Save button!
  4. Uncheck/check the Save this search box again.
  5. The Save button is back.

For me, it's a save issue. For @RobertAlviar its a slightly different issue.

Will escalate to TAM to get a formal response and ETA for fix.

--

RobertAlviar
New Contributor II

thank you @donmontalvo hopefully this gets fixed :)

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Have you checked this thread?
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/22614/as-soon-as-log-in-to-jss-web-logged-out

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@m.entholzner interesting, thanks for sharing the URL. Our TAM asked us if it's still happening, and it looks like it is.

Will post a link to this thread over on the other thread to link them.

--