KEXT Config profiles failing to install during enrollment on M1 machines

rstasel
Valued Contributor

So, he have our KEXT config profiles excluded from M1 machines. But I was just looking at one that enrolled via ADE, and it seems like Jamf didn't know it was an M1 at first, so it tried to install them, and they all failed with:

"The operation couldn’t be completed. (SPErrorDomain error 10.)"

Looking at when it enrolled, it's info is all -1 (CPU speed, number of processors, number of cores, etc). Then it updated to be reasonable info after first inventory.

So, guess question is. Others seen this? and wondering if I need to make a smart group that is "CPU Speed = -1" and exclude that from config profiles too.

Obviously, none of this is breaking since they wouldn't have installed anyway, and the rest of the config profiles installed fine.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

nstrauss
Contributor II

@rstasel I ran into the same thing. Jamf has identified it as a PI.

PI-009226: M1 Mac Hardware Inventory is temporarily reported with an Architecture Type of 'x86_64' rather than 'ARM64'

A few recons in a row tends to report arm64 correctly, but at that point it's too late. The config is wrong. Their recommendation is to change the smart group to criteria to Processor Type not like Intel. There are a few other ways around it too, but that seems like the one that'll stick. I also thought about making criteria model like M1 but that would have to be updated regularly. Definitely file a case though to add your impact.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Interesting... Will open a case. Can indeed see Processor Type not like Intel seems to be working...

Thanks!

Jason33
Contributor III

Yep, happening off and on for M1's in our environment. I've got a ticket opened with Jamf on it as well

rstasel
Valued Contributor

opened a case. asked to confirm -notlike Intel is still the workaround.