Mac\iOS In Connecticut

whetzelj
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I currently manage about 150 Macs and 350 iOS devices for a town here in Connecticut. As I haven't had any luck finding a nearby district that matches our current deployment, I'm expanding my search here. We've run into a few issues, mostly wireless-related in nature, that continue to haunt us. For context, we run Yosemite throughout the district and will jump to El Capitan in the summer. Our iOS devices range from iOS 5 to the latest 9+.

Wireless machines (specifically MacBook Airs) will sporadically unbind from AD even though everything looks good on the machine and in AD. I usually manually unbind and rebind to correct the issue, but we can't figure out why they "jump the track". It happens on maybe half a cart of 20. Also, the user's home network share doesn't mount to the dock from time to time, and when it does, we occasionally get a read-only error when students are working on files on the network. We use DFS, but have modified paths and permissions to work with OS X.

On the iOS side, we have a mixed app distribution using VPP. We're cart-based and not 1 to 1. Some devices use the old Configurator and spreadsheet method to install apps. Some are user-based and we've created iTunes accounts for each device in order to assign apps. On iOS 9 and higher devices, we use the newer device-based method. We've had mixed results with each method, but as long as there's a strong wireless AP nearby, the apps get to where they're going.

I'm hoping that I can get some advice from some of you who may have experienced some of these issues or similar. Please reply here or PM me to discuss your environment and offer any suggestions you may have for us. Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

From what I know, it's not possible to use both, user-based and device-based app assignments at the same time for the same app. For instance, if you have Google Slides assigned to some users and also to devices, it won't work, as the user-based assignment will take priority over device-based assignment. At least, it hasn't worked for us and that's what our support told us.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@whetzelj The unbinding if probably the Mac trying to change it's AD Password, might be worth setting it to not change as per this. (a value of 0 will mean that the Mac will not change it's password).