Mac Software Updates

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Has anybody tried / seen the littleboyblue package / scripts for software updates? Supposedly it gives a popup that checks if there are updates, if none then it exits silently, if it finds any it prompts the user to either schedule or do the install now.

Maybe those that are more script savvy can look through it and verify there's no back doors or anything that would serve to bite us.

http://www.littleboyblue.co.nz/

Mac Laptop Software Updater
What is it?
MacUserSoftwareUpdate regularly checks your laptop to see whether there are updates available for your system software. If there are updates, it lets you choose whether to install them immediately, or to postpone.

3 REPLIES 3

rmanly
Contributor III

There is nothing dangerous in the scripts or installer pkg that I can see.

IANAL, YMMV, No animals were harmed, etc. etc.

;)

Cem
Valued Contributor

@jwojda

Have you been using this? If yes any feedback will be great. If no why?

Cheers

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Just found this post, downloaded the LBB scripts, installed, and appears to be working well on 10.8. Neat package! Though I am not sure I really like the option of users changing the update schedule to monthly, I am assume that's something I can dig around in the script and remove as needed. Seems like a nice out of box workaround that brings Casper a little closer to managed software-like functionality.