macOS Catalina 10.15.5 & 2020-003 Security Updates are Live!

ClassicII
Contributor III

Today, Apple released the following updates
macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Update
Security Update for Mojave 2020-003
Security Update for High Sierra 2020-003

Patch & Security information, Download Links, Version info + size for BridgeOS, Combo, Delta, Full Installer app included in the links below!

https://mrmacintosh.com/whats-new-in-the-macos-catalina-10-15-5-update-19f96/

https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-2020-002-security-updates-mojave-high-sierra/

21 REPLIES 21

Willk
New Contributor

This update seems to by-passed our delay configuration and gave user 5 minutes to prepare a reboot.
Is anyone seeing the same issue?

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Download URLs yet?

ClassicII
Contributor III

Still waiting on download URL's.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

And in the news you're going to love category, after installing Catalina 10.15.5, or the 2020-003 Security Update for Mojave or High Sierra, the softwareupdate tool will no longer recognize the --ignore flag to hide "major new releases of macOS". We knew it was coming for 10.15.5, but adding it to the Security Update for High Sierra and Mojave is a rude middle-finger to Mac Admins from Apple.

ClassicII
Contributor III

^ YES

This leaves Mojave with no way to block Catalina from showing up in the software update system preferences pane.

https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-2020-002-security-updates-mojave-high-sierra/

SteveC
New Contributor III

Mojave 2020-003, Catalina ignored in softwareupdate, updates deferred 90 days in MDM, Catalina still available in Software Update pane. See you all on 10.15.5 I guess.

ClassicII
Contributor III

Updated the article to include download links for the 10.15.5 combo, delta and both 2020-003 security updates.

newvisions
New Contributor II

No configuration profiles can be added to block the installer? Or simply blocking the macOs Catalina installer.app?

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Does adding Install macOS Catalina.app to disallowed list still work?

I know APPL want everyone on latest and greatest the moment it's released but organizations need to have this control.
Basic support, manpower, user training, software compatibility... I don't have to preach here.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@atomczynski > Does adding Install macOS Catalina.app to disallowed list still work?

Yes, blacklisting app works, but action happens after user download full installations image, opens app. And it doesn't not prevent System Update messages "Update is available, install it". Expect more support calls...

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Just to double check 15.5 update is not respecting "forceDelayedSoftwareUpdates key"? That is what I am seeing I just started testing it a few days ago...

C

j_allenbrand
Contributor

What is a good way to deploy this to everyone? We've done our testing and it is working for us. The built in prompt for software updates/user apple software update servers isn't the greatest.

I'm looking for some sort of script that would download combo and update.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@j_allenbrand What about softwareupdate -i -a

guidotti
Contributor II

I've tested the softwareupdate -i -a -R, and it did work for my system going from 10.15.4->10.15.5.

j_allenbrand
Contributor

@mhasman Thats works but it doesn't really work from going from 10.14.6 to 10.15.x. Its good for the incremental ones.

Rohitds14
New Contributor III

Hi jamfNation,

I am getting error in few macs like this:
To install these updates, your computer must shut down. Your computer will automatically start up to finish installation. Installation will not complete successfully if you choose to restart your computer instead of shutting down. Please call halt(8) or select Shut Down from the Apple menu. To automate the shutdown process with softwareupdate(8), use --restart.

Any idea about this?

LeeGibson
New Contributor III

@Rohitds14 I have tried to use the Execute Command option in a policy, but am getting errors on a few. Any success?

Executing Policy Run Apple Updates
Running command softwareupdate -i -a --restart...
Result of command:
Software Update Tool

Finding available software

Downloading macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Supplemental Update
Downloaded macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Supplemental Update
Preparing macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Supplemental Update
Installing macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Supplemental Update
Done.

Error installing updates.

Have same **bleep** issue, and I don`t know why. Yesterday works flawless, and security updates from today show me this.... I am getting tired

guidotti
Contributor II

The shutdown thing shows up if there is a firmware update that it needs to install. If you use the -R switch, it should handle that gracefully.

BNolet
New Contributor

Has anyone noticed a change in behaviour relating to recovery keys? I'm starting to see users who's recovery keys were generated "today" all over. It seems to replace the existing entry with the same key, like the same key's just been re-sent.

With the test I did, the key was "re-sent" on boot. No inventory scan or anything, just on boot from a deep(?) sleep. I imagine it would be the same whether the MBP had been off.