macOS Managed App/ MDM Check-In

cpetrello
New Contributor

I am working on distributing managed apps (VPP) for macOS. In this case, the apps are scoped to computers and set to automatically install.

The apps are distributing as expected - but I cannot seem to locate the client-side action/command to force a check-in to pull down the contents. That is - the systems eventually load the apps - but there is no obvious correlation to how/when they check in and pull down the bits.

I've run recon and policy a number of times and neither seems to do much in real time - the apps eventually load - but I'd like to see if anyone knows if there is a client-side command that can be scripted to force/induce the check in and installation of managed apps.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

dmarcnw
New Contributor III

Somewhat related topic to watch out for that happened to us. Make sure users are enabled for MDM Capable Users.

We couldn't figure out why users couldn't download VPP apps, and it was because their accounts were not authorized.

There's no way to tell in a search or extension attribute who has this enabled. I asked support and there's no way to find out who has this or does not have this enabled for their account.

You'll find this attribute under the user's record > General.

cpetrello
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check that out. In this case we are scoping to computers - and it is working - but we are looking for a way to kick off the check in process from the client side.

To be sure, it looks like the machines get the info via APNS - so a "pull" request from the client may be impossible.

My idea here is that we have our VPP content distributed to computers after provisioning actions via a script rather than waiting for the MDM check in or APNS regular interval.