Managed Preferences Stopped working

grecopj
Contributor

Running OS 10.10.4 with JSS 9.73. I have a few managed preferences that seemed to be working fine. I installed PaperCut and ran the "install-login-hook.command" so as to make PaperCut to start up and have the user not be able to quit it.

Would that have caused my managed preferences to stop working? I also have a policy run a script for a message to the user once they log in. That stopped working as well. I used to get the "Applying Managed Preferences" window but that is not coming up anymore either.

I tried removing the PaperCut login hook and still no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

grecopj
Contributor

Well with the help of support figured out the the PaperCut login hook install overrode the JAMF login hook settings. Running sudo jamf manage via terminal got it back to use the JAMF login hooks.

I then have a script running as a policy to launch PaperCut at login.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Apple has deprecated MCX since 10.7. I am still wondering why some MCX kept working in 10.10. I would really recommend to use profiles instead. If it's a .command or something like you wrote, you can even use a login policy instead of MCX. In short, there are a few other ways but using MCX is a bad idea.

grecopj
Contributor

Thanks MIchael, yes i know MCX is not the preferred way to go. I only have a few Managed Preferences like the disable Natural Scroll option and just a coule extra. I never could get those to work with profiles.

My concern is why they all of sudden stopped working. As I mentioned I used to see the dialog that is was applying managed preferences but that is not showing. How can I tell if the JSS is pushing out the Managed preferences?

grecopj
Contributor

So, I just confirmed that installing the Papercut login hook disabled the ability of the Managed Preferences to be received and applied. Anyone have a suggestion to where I might be able to correct this? Maybe a permission issue?

This also broke the script I had running in one of the labs as a policy to give a user a message at login. Other policies seemed to be loading fine as well as profiles.

I tried to run the uninstall command for the login hook but it does not help.

The only Managed preferences I had were:
Disable Natural Scroll
Auto Logout after 60 mInutes
Open last window dialog unchecked

I know these seem trivial but I get complaints from the students and faculty. If I could get these to work with profiles, that would be great but I can;t seem to get the Natural Scroll to go that route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

grecopj
Contributor

Well with the help of support figured out the the PaperCut login hook install overrode the JAMF login hook settings. Running sudo jamf manage via terminal got it back to use the JAMF login hooks.

I then have a script running as a policy to launch PaperCut at login.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@grecopj glad you got it sorted.

Was going to chime in with this article, as seems like in this case 2 is not better than 1.