Managed vs. Unmanaged Apps

Tsang
New Contributor

Can someone tell me the difference between managed and unmanaged apps?

5 REPLIES 5

plawrence
Contributor II

Have a look at page 461 of the Administrators Guide: http://www.jamfsoftware.com/sites/default/files/Casper_Suite_Administrators_Guide_0.pdf

It states "The primary advantages to managing an app are that you can prompt users to install the app, and you can remove the app from devices that have it installed."

Also, a managed app will be removed from a device if the MDM profile is removed. This can be helpful if you want to 'encourage' your users to keep their device enrolled.

Tsang
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. According to the "The Casper Suite and iOS:Mobile Device Management for the Apple platform, Managed App:If an app is deployed as managed, it is possible to remove the app and/or prevent backup of app data to iTunes." I am not sure what kind of app data will be prevented, have you seen any issues with this?

BluestemUSD205
New Contributor

When you manage an App and then remove it from the mobile device does it also release the VPP code from the ownership of the Apple ID on that iPad so the same code can be sent to another device? Reasoning behind this is for Apps like Pages and Keynote which we give to all 7-12 grade students. When they graduate I want to be able to give their code to the up coming 7th graders.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Hi BluestemUSD205,

No. Once a VPP code has been associated with a student's Apple ID, the student "owns" that app. The VPP code cannot be recovered.

Your question addresses a feature that many of us want Apple to support...the ability to recover and/or redistribute VPP codes, which is so important especially in schools. However, the process you are asking for is currently unsupported by Apple. Currently the only way to recover VPP codes is to remove the app from Supervised iPad(s) using Apple Configurator when Apple Configurator originally installed the app.

Unfortunately, you will need to buy new VPP codes for the upcoming 7th graders.
~Joe

BluestemUSD205
New Contributor

Thank you. That is what I thought but wanted to make sure since I had seen some hinting towards that with the iOS 7 in Education.