MDM Profile Unverified - Signing Certificate Expired

tomgluver
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Our JSS Signing Certificate expired last month, and I have been unable to find how to either update it, or redeploy our MDM Profile. It's not our JSS Certificate Authority, but the Signing Certificate. Is there any documentation I should be looking for, or am I missing something obvious?

We are running 9.101.4, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do regarding user approved MDM (although that's its own can of worms).

Thanks

57 REPLIES 57

rstasel
Valued Contributor

sorry, it's not a policy. You don't even need a smart group if you're not running the "jamf trustjss" policy. This is all just a search. Once you show the results of a search, there's "Action" down in bottom right, where you can cancel pending/failed management commands (so get the pending ones out of the way), then you can do the Action again, and Send Remote Command, Renew MDM.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Here ya go. (not in right order)

b9d210652da34ef1be930a920e719d8d

0477ab347a354765a8e1636635afc59d

f6b26514c2d648a99bf95f3dca17b2db

4ce798330494461ba915ebeeb745a029

71e0e733ae0e46758ad294a2a1e8d485

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@rstasel i kinda see now.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

yup.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@rstasel how long after you ran the 2 commands did you see results? ( i see, you had to just daily or whatever see the numbers drop as computers ran inventory)

my search I only did the first line.

another issue i have is a handful of these macs have totally dropped off from even doing the routine checkin and inventory updates, so probably those macs won't be affected by this.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

If the MDM command succeeds, the next inventory they should report as Verified. So I started seeing results pretty quick. If you want to speed it up, make a new smart group and scope an inventory to that.

And yes, that command will just sit waiting for machines until they come online again. the profile being unverified should have nothing to do with them not checking in, that just means they're off, or somehow Jamf is broken on them (Jamf Binary and MDM stuff aren't tied together).

If you don't have any 10.13 machines, then that's fine. If you DO have 10.13 machines, or older, you want to exclude them from this. They won't successfully renew the MDM profile, and instead just spin up the CPU for a while before failing silently and continuing to be unverified.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@rstasel we have nothing older than 10.13.

so far i see 5 macs that have run inventory since i did those 'actions', and checking the inventory information on one of them i see no change to the Not Verified state.
Also i see in the macs management tab a handful of pending commands, along with the Renew MDM Profile command. Date of last push 13 minutes ago!!!! what is preventing these commands from executing??
b94c16a8e95e4bcaa518b4df7bfff82a

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Hi @tcandela

What OS? If 10.14, is someone logged in? If not, someone needs to login.

There are a lot of variables, and yes, the 100 or so I have left are all in this state. Which means having to re-enroll them.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@rstasel here is a couple sample results from two of the computers the renew profile command was sent to. Someone has been logged in. also the search is still at 86 computers, so the commands did not effect even 1 computer

7a7991e6aea549d6993c915d4f9a1497

84cbad9486564e27985902c67e504e38

rstasel
Valued Contributor

So that top one looks suspicious. I'm not positive, but that looks like the MDM push cert was renewed with a different appleid than originally (so when you renew the APN profile with Apple, it warns you in the Jamf pro server if the apple ID is different than originally). Does that sound right? If that's the case, any machine in that state will need to be re-enrolled.

The bottom one looks like the ones I have left... just for whatever reason they're aren't accepting the new MDM. I'm unclear why.

What OS is on each of these? Do you have one in your possession or are they all out in the field?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@tcandela When you renewed your push certificate I assume you used the same Apple ID you used the previous year(s)?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@rstasel both are running 10.14 and out in the field.

I have no idea what that top 'does not contain same push topic' message means!!!

rstasel
Valued Contributor

yup, what @mainelysteve said. that does not contain same push topic looks like a different appleid was used to renew the push certificate.

boberito
Valued Contributor

@tcandela my suggestion at this point honestly if you haven't already. Open a ticket with Jamf support.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@boberito i did once. They're about as helpful as asking no one.

boberito
Valued Contributor

@tcandela yaaa.... :/

rstasel
Valued Contributor

@tcandela Would definitely recommend opening a ticket in this case. Cause not sure we're going to be familiar with all the specific errors.

That first one though looks like APN Push Cert was renewed with different appleid. The second one though is more what I'm seeing (machines that aren't getting/respecting the Renew MDM command).

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

A few of our devices are not able to renew the MDM profile.  The failed commands shows:

Profile replacing MDM profile does not contain same ServerURL as original <MDMClientError:90>

We've only had one AppleID reserved for use with APN Push Certs.

Has anyone determined a resolution?