MDM remote lock message

Aaron
Contributor II

Hi all,

Just a quick question - I've set up the ability to send remote lock commands, and it all works well (or well enough, that's another topic), but when I was first working on it I set up a test message (literally "test") that it displays when it locks. I can't find out where I set that message now. I thought it would be an option in Configuration Profiles, but I'm not seeing it.

Help out a silly person?

20 REPLIES 20

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Do a search or select the smart group or group for the devices you want... Then click view. Then click on 'action' at the bottom right and the options will be there including lock the screen.

Aaron
Contributor II

I don't have any issues sending the lock screen action, my issue is with the message that shows when the screen is locked. I had set it once somewhere, and now I can't find it. I do not get prompted to enter in a custom message each time.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Just selecting 'lock screen' should give you the options. Here's a screen grab: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ZtpzOqQjivbWpRcG8wVHJIQlk/view?usp=sharing.

Aaron
Contributor II

That looks like for mobile devices? This is for a Macbook - sorry I should have been more specific. I don't get those options, it just asks me for a PIN and confirmation.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I have only used this option in testing with the PIN number (under the management tab in the computers inventory record). Displaying a message on the lock screen in OS X is normally in the login window settings, not sure if its that you're looking for?

I just double-checked the MDM lock on OS X and theres no option to set a message on that screen.

Aaron
Contributor II

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

It looks just like the loginwindow message. That can be set via a config profile, or in the security system preference pane. Is it one of those?

Aaron
Contributor II

I've got the loginwindow banner set to a different message, which shows up fine for the normal login. There's no other option for setting another message. There are no options for setting messages under Security either.

It was set once somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it again.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've had a look through the config profile options and in the main inventory data section and can't see any text field to put a message. I'll try locking a computer tomorrow to see if there are any other options.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I did a bit of testing this morning. In all cases there was a login window message set.

Tried clicking the lock button in the computers inventory screen, set the 6 digit pin, no other message appeared on the locked computer.
Same if I search the inventory and select Action > Send remote command > Lock

Hopefully someone else will be able to chip in with the answer!

dunderwood3
New Contributor II

Has anyone found a solution for this? I am needing to set a "Property of..." message on the lock screen of our Macbook Air laptops when needed but haven't been able to find a way to do that yet.

kambala
New Contributor

It seems like the ability to enter a message on the lock screen has been taken away on the latest release of Casper. I couldn't find it myself either. (I tried by sending a remote command)

jmilks
New Contributor II

This would be a good feature to bring back as it would increase the chances of recovering stolen or lost devices if we could put contact information in the lock screen while also maintaining data security

lars0n
New Contributor II

Still hunting for this feature as well! bb114900251d4a6a82c101a97b702219
@Aaron , reposting your image in case it get taken down from that site :)

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

The lock message is only an option for iOS devices.

lars0n
New Contributor II

@StoneMagnet yeah looks like it. Started going through the documentation from Apple and found the same. I've opened up a feature request with JAMF to see if they have any other workarounds or if they can request the feature from Apple down the road.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/6948/improve-the-devicelock-command-options-macos

RaymoJamf
New Contributor III

In Jamf v10.13.0 - You set the lock message and the unlock code at the time you send the command to lock the Mac.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/30368/wipe-mac-message-with-mojave

benducklow
Contributor III

I know this is an old post, but figured I would relay this for others in case they are looking at this... It looks like the Lock Message part of this capability/feature only works with Mojave or higher macOS systems. In my testing High Sierra systems would not show the Lock Message that was set.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@benducklow

It was two/three years ago but I am 99% sure I tested this with High Sierra and Sierra and it worked.

C

benducklow
Contributor III

@gachowski As of today it doesn't, but thats perfectly understandable for an unsupported OS and quite a few Jamf Pro version later... Just sharing what I've tested and validated!