Memcached

bmarks
Contributor II

This seems promising but I know nothing about it. I wonder what kind of performance impact we can expect by implementing this (in a clustered environment.)

10 REPLIES 10

Sonic84
Contributor III

I just found out yesterday that JAMF is requiring this 3rd party app for my environment. However I only found this out after running into major issues with JSS 9.96 and escalating to JAMF for help.

Here's JAMF's KB on the service.

The release notes for JSS 9.93 mention needing a cacheing server if your JSS is clustered, however there is no mention of it in the 9.96 release notes.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

FYI Jamf support told me today "For our memcache preferences, we suggest holding off for now. We aren't entirely sure what the plans are going to be with this in the future, so until we lock down exactly what we are going to be doing with the memcache servers, lets hold off."

Sonic84
Contributor III

"Memcached Future Requirement for Clustered Environments
In the Casper Suite v9.98, Memcached is recommended, but not yet required. In future versions of the Casper Suite, Memcached will be required for clustered environments. To prepare for this change, it is recommended that you review the following information:

Memcached Configuration for Clustered JSS Environments
Securing Your JSS"

I really hope Jamf steps up and builds an actual installer for this... having customer build a external product from source all the time is a PITA.

coreythomas
New Contributor III

I'd second an installer of some kind.

I have serious concerns as to how this will affect my internal/DMZ clustered setup. Our security team is not going to be happy about allowing some open source in-memory application across our firewall. I really hope the design for this is considering clusters with nodes in a DMZ and the security concerns. I also hope they are providing documentation as to exactly which ports Memcached uses and how the communication is secured. The memcache website doesn't look very professional...

kerouak
Valued Contributor

Anyone??

Does this need to beset as a unique for each Web App??

Unique id required when sharing memcached endpoints with two different JSS apps

memcached.uniqueId=JAMF

So: INTERNAL MASTER JSS: JAMF DMZ JSS: JAMF1

??
Again, not enough information in the Jamf Installation notes.... SADLY!

gda
Contributor
memcached.uniqueId=JAMF

Where do you get this settings from?

I'm pretty sure, I've never configured this in my environment.

kerouak
Valued Contributor

memcached.properties file

>> # Unique id required when sharing memcached endpoints with two different JSS apps

memcached.uniqueId=JAMF

gda
Contributor

Ah, ok. Got your point.

I didn't change the uniqueId in my env. I've a full JSS and a limited JSS sharing the same memcached instance.
I think the setting will take effect, when you host multiple JSS webapps on one server.

But your are right. Jamf needs to document that. :)

marklamont
Contributor III

memcached.uniqueId=JAMF this is used if you have multiple jss instances, e.g. Prod and Dev. It is only required if you want to share the memcached servers rather than have individual dedicated ones. In the example all the Prod webapps have the uniqueid set to *prod and all the dev servers set to dev. This tags the cached data to the required destination system.

Obviously if you share memcached servers bump the allocated RAM up to allow for this.

prbsparx
Contributor II

Anyone wanting a bit more security in memcache: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/7952/add-memcached-sasl-support