Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0.35 app name issue... again

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I updated MS Remote Desktop through the Mac App Store this morning and discovered yet again that the naming convention has changed completely. it is now named Microsoft Remote Desktop_8027218.app WTH, Microsoft? Is this how it's going to be from now on or do we have to wait for 8.0.36 for you to revert back to the old way?

11 REPLIES 11

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

mikeh
Contributor II

If history is any indicator, it'll be more like 8.0.42

scottb
Honored Contributor

Yup, got the "?" on the Dock and sure 'nuff: Microsoft Remote Desktop_8027218.app.

Nice QC MS.

pbowden
Contributor III

I just spoke to the Remote Desktop engineer who was cowering in shame in the corner of his office ....8.0.35 indeed has a wonky file name post-install (deja vu). A new version with the fix has been submitted to Apple, and we're just waiting for them to approve the release. He sends his sincere apologies.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III
I just spoke to the Remote Desktop engineer who was cowering in shame in the corner of his office

@pbowden LOL...well s**t happens, thanks for responding so quickly. :)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

scottb
Honored Contributor

Thanks @pbowden - it's not a big deal as everyone knows by now what happens when they see the "?". But the interaction with you guys is very much appreciated, so hoping the snark isn't taking too seriously... :)

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Our friends at Microsoft have struck again. This time MS Remote Desktop 8.0.39 can't seem to report the right version. I downloaded it from the Mac App Store this morning and the Get Info window says version 8.0.39, but doing a Quick Look on the app and it says Version 8.0.27287 then right below that it says 8.0.39.
653c4ab0fb8642d3bc2aee48409eb0d6

I adjusted my SmartGroup by looking for 8.0.39 since that's what Get Info says but it doesn't pick it up from a freshly inventoried Mac. I changed the smart group to look for 8.0.27287 and it doesn't pick that up either. I'm using the same Smart Group criteria settings I've always used except for incrementing the version number.

Has anyone been able to figure out what version MS Remote Desktop is reporting itself as now? Why do we have to do this dance with MS versioning every few months?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@AVmcclint In the app's info.plist, what is the value for CFBundleShortVersionString?

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <string>8.0.27287</string>

I just figured out why my SmartGroup with that version number in the criteria failed, I had an errant space in the box. BUT STILL.... why does Microsoft play these versioning games with us? I thought we finally got them to play nice and be consistent.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@AVmcclint Some of the guys on the #microsoft-office slack channel (https://macadmins.software) suggest reporting the issue through an App Store review.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

thanks for the tip @bpavlov I hope they actually read the reviews posted there.