Migrating from Jamf environment to new Jamf environment

iVoidWarrantiez
New Contributor III

I am going from a Jamf environment running 10.15.1 to a whole new environment running 10.17.1.
I am trying to transfer information easily from one to another. I have used the Jamf Migrator tool and it does not copy my Polices or my Profiles. Both of which I do not want to rebuild as it would take a lot of time. Currently I am export my policy tables and import them into my new Jamf database. Assuming this process does not work does anybody have any recommendations?
I am only wanting to copy the Polices and Profiles. Most of everything else I have rebuild and configured anew.
I am sure people will wonder why I am doing this. Just understand it is necessary and a longer explication than it is worth.
Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

I'm following this thread because I am about to embark on a similar mission (moving to a Windows Server 2019 instance from 2012 R2). I'm currently in contact with Jamf Support regarding recommended workflows, but you might want to start with this KB article?

I was hoping to use the Jamf Migrator tool rather than a backup and restore of the MySQL DB mainly because we currently have an odd issue where users can't open Self Service when I populate the User & Location record in the web interface. Therefore I want to start with a clean slate; the tool has (mostly) worked for us in the past. Are you sure you have the latest version?

leslie
Contributor II
Contributor II

@iVoidWarrantiez - What do the logs look like? Have you tried copying without the scope?

kstrick
Contributor III

You need to make sure all the pieces are in place on the new server--- make sure that whatever groups are scoped are present on the new server, and whatever packages.
(At least that was my experience with Jamf Migrator.. )

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@iVoidWarrantiez Keep in mind that the Jamf Migrator can require multiple runs to get everything moved. For example: if you have a Smart Computer Group that references other Smart Computer Groups, and one or more of those groups have a numerically higher index, which isn't uncommon if you make edits to a group over time, then the lower indexed group won't migrate until the higher indexed group has migrated. If you have Policies that depend on things like Smart/Static Computer Groups, or Scripts, or Packages then those have to exist on the new server before the Policies that reference them can be migrated

iVoidWarrantiez
New Contributor III

I got it working, it was a scope issue and I did have to use multiple runs.