Model shows the Model Identifier in Hardware inventory for M1 Pro and M1 Max device

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Model populates the Model Identifier value instead of Model for M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook Pros.  The M1 and Intel devices inventory shows the Model like "MacBook Air (M1, 2020), MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) etc. 

We are running Jamf Pro 10.34.1.

Is this a bug or known issue ?

karthikeyan_mac_0-1639392491582.png

Thanks & Regards,

Karthikeyan

8 REPLIES 8

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@karthikeyan_mac This is normal until your Jamf Pro version is one updated to recognize the new models.

@sdagley I missed mentioning the Jamf Pro version in the post. Edited it now.

We are running the latest version (10.34.1) of Jamf Pro.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@karthikeyan_mac Updating Model IDs in Jamf Pro seems to be a low priority for updates, so it's not surprising 10.34.1 hasn't been updated (I believe the only change from 10.34.0 was the CVE-2021-44228 fix). It's likely 10.35.0 will recognize those models.

Thank you. I added the extension attribute to fetch the information.

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Extension Attribute to fetch the Hardware Model.

#!/bin/bash
cpuArch=`arch`
if [[ $cpuArch == "i386" ]]; then
model=$(curl -s https://support-sp.apple.com/sp/product?cc=$(system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk '/Serial/ {print $4}' | cut -c 9-) | sed 's|.*<configCode>\(.*\)</configCode>.*|\1|')
elif [[ $cpuArch == *"arm64"* ]]; then
model=$(/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Print 0:product-name' /dev/stdin <<< "$(ioreg -arc IOPlatformDevice -k product-name)" 2> /dev/null)
fi
echo "<result>$model</result>"

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

(never mind, misunderstood the question)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jttavares
New Contributor III

Jamf Inventory shows wrong year for various models.   "About this Mac" show 2017, which is correct.  Jamf Pro show it as 2015 model?  IDK

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jttavares I believe Jamf Pro just goes by the Model Identifier, which Apple has been known to re-use occasionally. About This Mac may use a more precise method of acquiring the model name.