MP4 screen saver (SaveHollywood)

woodsb
Contributor

Hello,

I've been tasked with creating a screen saver with an .mp4 file. So far, it looks like SaveHollywood is the best way to accomplish this. Does anyone know how to configure the preferences of SaveHollywood to use the .mp4 file?

15 REPLIES 15

cbruce
New Contributor III

@woodsb I have been tasked with the same thing, using SaveHollywood. I have had 0 luck on getting this to work. Were you able to get this to work and if you have, can you share?
Thanks,

cpresnall
Contributor

You'll need to push out a package containing the screen saver, the video to be used, and a plist giving instructions to the screen saver. Make sure you place the video files in a universally available location (not /tmp/ or inside a user's home folder) and set the plist to the correct location.

plist name: fr.whitebox.SaveHollywood.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>assets.library</key>
    <array>
        <string>/Path/To/Vids</string>
        <string>/Path/To/Vids/Special Content</string>
    </array>
    <key>assets.randomOrder</key>
    <true/>
    <key>assets.startWhereLeftOff</key>
    <false/>
    <key>frame.background.color</key>
    <string>0.000000|0.000000|0.000000</string>
    <key>frame.drawBorder</key>
    <false/>
    <key>frame.randomPosition</key>
    <false/>
    <key>frame.scaling</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>frame.showMetadata</key>
    <false/>
    <key>frame.showMetadata.mode</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>movie.audio.mainDisplayOnly</key>
    <false/>
    <key>movie.volume.mode</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>screen.mainDisplayOnly</key>
    <false/>
</dict>
</plist>

cbruce
New Contributor III

Hello @cpresnall I have a package for screen saver and the video to be used. How do I get the plist pushed out? Many thanks
Where do you suggest the video to be located?

cpresnall
Contributor

@cbruce I put everything in the same Composer package. The video files can go anywhere you like (we use users/shared/shsaver)
The plist needs to be sent to library/library/preferences/fr.whitebox.SaveHollywood.plist

cbruce
New Contributor III

@cpresnall So I need to create another package for fr.whitebox.SaveHollywood.plist?

cpresnall
Contributor

Just use the same package with another folder embedded. d1da0f95ea864c0480bd86241d2bfbc0

Grabbed what I can for you in a screenshot out of Composer. My company is security conscious about what we expand file wise though.

cbruce
New Contributor III

@cpresnall So I can just copy the fr.whitebox.SaveHollywood.plist (modify where I drop the .mp4 file) and then drop it into composer? You have been a great help !

cpresnall
Contributor

@cbruce Exactly! Jamf and their tools make this so much easier than it used to be. Composer is a real lifesaver when used correctly.

cbruce
New Contributor III

@cpresnall in your screen capture you list Users/Shared . In the Shared directory, that is where you have the video, correct?

cbruce
New Contributor III

@cpresnall I was able to deploy to 3 machines. Thank you so much for all of your assistance (and patience) !

mottertektura
Contributor

@cpresnall Do you know if this is still working on Catalina? I've been previously managing these settings with a profile that I created from the ByHost plist and created with mcxToProfile.py, but now it's no longer working. I came across this post and tried your suggestion but no luck. Could you also explain why the .plist is placed in /Library/Library/Preferences and not /Library/Preferences ? Thanks!

cpresnall
Contributor

@mottertektura We do have this working in both Catalina and Mojave. We've not made any changes to the installation, but have repeatedly erased and re-installed/upgraded these devices as they are in a testing lab.

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

Has anyone used SaveHollywood recently? I have tried as posted above, although the use of Library/Library is very confusing. I have using /Library/Preferences, given I dont understand how you can have Library/Library, but no luck. I can get Save Hollywood to install and deploy the video to Shared folder but the plist does not work and I have tried deploying the plist to various places.

Alkutraz
New Contributor

Has anyone gotten this to work recently? Cant seem to set the preferences for SaveHollywood