MS Office 2019 VL Serializer

spearsn
New Contributor II

Hey everyone,

So I'm having a problem with Office 2019 activating. When I launch say word it prompts me to login instead taking me to the window where I can create a new blank document.

I've gone to MacAdmins and downloaded MS Office 365/2019 build 16.26 and I already have a serializer pkg that works.
I uploaded both the office and serializer software packages to Jamf.
I setup the policy with both MS Office and the serializer and I even set the priorities of each software making sure that office installs first and the serializer second.

I did a force run of the policy on a new macbook air and everything looks good from the terminal window, office installed first successfully and likewise the serializer. But then when I run say word it asked me to login. To test if the serializer was still good I ran it off of the USB key I have it on and then MS word brings me to the new document window which is where I want it to be. What am I missing?

I also ran the serializer though composer first as it is a ISO on my USB key and I made it a package so I could upload it to Jamf Pro.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Brad_G
Contributor II

@spearsn I'm not sure I follow that last line about using composer. Does the ISO have a package installer in it when you mount it (such as when you manually tested it)? If so, just mount the ISO on your computer and then drag that package installer directly into Jamf Admin to upload it. We just took the files we got from MS and moved them into Jamf. No need to use Composer.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Brad_G
Contributor II

@spearsn I'm not sure I follow that last line about using composer. Does the ISO have a package installer in it when you mount it (such as when you manually tested it)? If so, just mount the ISO on your computer and then drag that package installer directly into Jamf Admin to upload it. We just took the files we got from MS and moved them into Jamf. No need to use Composer.

spearsn
New Contributor II

Hey Brad,

In my efforts to troubleshoot this I could have sworn that I did what you suggested above and it didn't work. But to make sure, I did it again and sure enough now it is working.

Thanks for your help!

jwaddy
New Contributor

I'm having trouble with this too for some inexplicable reason. I can install the serializer pkg manually and office activates without issue. When I try to push it through self service it does not work at all. At a stand still.

Brad_G
Contributor II

@spearsn who knows. Maybe the first package upload became corrupt? In any event, if I recall, I don't think the order of installation matters since the Office 2019 installer isn't putting down any license information. It just looks for license information when the apps are run. Glad to hear it's now working.

jwaddy
New Contributor

Got it working now too. Guess I have to do it twice for some reason.

discounteggroll
New Contributor III

I started getting this issue of getting prompted to sign into office 365 despite the serializer successfully installing via policy. This seemed to have started with 16.33. When the the policy (serializer + installer packages) is flushed and ran again, office is able to be opened and used without a sign-in request.