Netboot on Distribution Point

Jpcorzo
Contributor

Hello all,

I have a DP over India that I want to use as a netboot server as well. It is a Mac Mini running 10.8.4, i have installed server and enabled NetInstall and File Sharing services. I've uploaded a 10.8.4 netboot image to it and all services seem to be running perfectly fine:
"sudo serveradmin fullstatus netboot" but, for some reason i'm not able to get the devices to boot to the netboot. I'm currently testing on a mbp that is under the same subnet and when i go to startup disk i can't see the netboot image i have enabled.

Just wanted to pick your brains for possible steps i'm missing.
Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Also, can you describe the network a little more? Things like 802.1x would cause problems as could several other things.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Try connecting to a non-manged switch and see if you can NetBoot?
Are you currently on Cisco stuff?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Also, can you describe the network a little more? Things like 802.1x would cause problems as could several other things.

hkim
Contributor II

Its out of date, but here's some things to consider about troubleshooting NetBoot.

http://static.afp548.com/mactips/netboot.html

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Good link! did that come from Bombich's old NetRestore site?

hkim
Contributor II

Yep, you can thank the guys at afp548 for preserving history =)

Jpcorzo
Contributor

Looks like it was a network issue all this time, seems like the IP Helpers for both subnets were not properly setup with the DP IP. I'm now able to see the netboot drives on startup disk.

Thanks for your help guys