NetSUS 4.0.0

DirkM2012
Contributor

Hello everybody,

https://github.com/jamf/NetSUS/blob/master/README.md points to a new NetSUS version 4.0.0. I was able to download the installer but the ova link returns an access denied error for me. Did anybody succeed downloading that version and give it a try? And if 4.0.0 has not really been released yet, does anybody have a link to download the 3.0.2 ova?

Thanks,
Dirk

17 REPLIES 17

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi, just tried it, definitely a broken link. I thought I had a save copy of 3.0.2 kicking around but I can't find it now.

If you need it urgently I'd give JAMF support a quick email to see if they can escalate it to the right person.

zskidmor
Contributor

I was able to download it today, I guess it's been fixed

jphillips
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Just tried it.. still access denied. :/

zskidmor
Contributor

Sorry I misread @jphillips post, I was able to download the installer, I don't use the OVA, sorry about that!

eric_krause
New Contributor
New Contributor

You are all certainly on top of it! It looks like the README was updated a little early. Both the .run file and .ova are now downloadable for those who would like to get an early look at it. Look for a discussion post later this week that will include release notes and updated documentation. For those who are looking for 3.0.2 it is still available at:

NetSUS 3.0.2 Installer
NetSUS 3.0.2 OVA

bofh
New Contributor III

I'm just wondering why you are going for the slapd solution instead of the two php-solutions flying around?
The PHP variant would have been a lot more portable

mattware
Contributor

Neat, glad to see some progress being made on the NetSUS. I'm playing with the new version and eagerly awaiting the release notes and updated docs.

DirkM2012
Contributor

Looking forward to the release notes, got the ova downloaded and will take a look soon. Thanks for keeping it updated, it's a very valuable tool for us.

macbentosh
New Contributor III

I ran curl to get the .run file chmod +x the file and ran sudo ./<path>
All updated!

itupshot
Contributor II

After I downloaded the .run file, I typed the command to run it according to the instructions, and all I get is a "command not found" error.

The documentation doesn't say whether I need to have LAMP server, and Samba server already installed. It just lists versions of Linux compatible. Anyone know if these services are required prior to downloading and running this?

Trying this on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS Trusty Server.

mattware
Contributor

@itupshot Usually you have to do a chmod +X and then run it using ./whateverthefilenameis.run. You don't need anything installed besides the OS.

Brad_G
Contributor II

After a fresh Ubuntu server install (with updates) I simply do the following two commands:

wget http://content.jamfcloud.com/NetSUSLP_4.0.0.run

sudo sh NetSUSLP_4.0.0.run

brunerd
Contributor

@eric.krause Wondering about the DHCP server that comes included is 4.2.4-P1 and it seems to have some modifications looking at the patch file... Reason being I was attempting to use DHCP 4.2.5 on RHEL installed via yum but despite using the same dhcpd.conf file that worked with the included dhcpd, the yum installed DHCP server does not seem to respond to BSDP requests (not showing in Startup disk).

Wondering what changes were needed in 4.2.4-P1 that seem not to have made it to 4.2.5? Would like to be able to get BSDP working with "off the shelf" yum installs rather than monolithic .run file, but not sure what magic was need to make dhcpd work with the conf file?

Thanks for any (no matter how high level and quick) answer you've got :]

nzmacgeek
New Contributor III

The patch only seems to do the following:

• Disable responding to INFORM packages for DHCP-specific requests (as in, requests for IP addressing)
  • Modify ISC DHCPd to respond to BSDP LIST/SELECT requests that originate from System Preferences. Because DHCP clients setup their communication locally on ports 67 and 68, System Preferences can't use those ports for discovering the BSDP information, and instead connects to BSDP from different client ports. Vanilla, out-of-the-box ISC-DHCPd can't send the information back to the client on those ports - it sends the information back out to ports 67 and 68 as usual, but obviously, System Preferences is not listening for the information on those ports (it's probably on some random port), and so cannot get this information. This is different from NetBoot (as in using the N key at boot, or using boot manager), because NetBoot uses the information is receives as part of the DHCP IP address request process.

I'm sorry if I'm repeating information from earlier in the thread/forums or if I'm not giving you the information you need, but I thought it would be a good reference for anyone who wanted insight into why folk couldn't simply use their distribution version of DHCPd to offer netboot images.

eric_krause
New Contributor
New Contributor

@nzmacgeek I couldn't have said that any better. Thanks for the response. The .patch file is included in the NetSUS source and installation if you would like to modify it to work with a more current version of DHCPd. It would require a build from source and not from a distributions package repo.

nzmacgeek
New Contributor III

One can become too familiar with Wireshark! Or with C ;-)

brunerd
Contributor

I meant to get back here for the answer earlier and here it is, thanks! Happy New Year :]