NetSUS Server 2.0 in now available

eric_krause
New Contributor
New Contributor

We have put out a new version of the NetSUS Server. The source has been updated on GitHub and it is also available as both an OVA and an installer.

Added features:

• Support for Ubuntu 12.04
  • Added the option to install the NetBoot/SUS server using an installer.
  • Updated the NetBoot/SUS server web application GUI to match the JSS v9.0 and later.
  • The NetBoot server hosted by the NetBoot/SUS server now uses HTTP instead of NFS.
  • Updated the version of Reposado that is used by the NetBoot/SUS server.
19 REPLIES 19

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Can anyone with more experience on GitHub outline steps to update appliance via SSH for us GH newbies?

eric_krause
New Contributor
New Contributor

Using the new installer method provided with the NetSUS Server 2.0 you can update your existing NetSUS 1.02 installation. Just download the installer and run in on your existing NetSUS server. Future updates will work the same way. Hope this helps!

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

RHEL Support?
Do you have any Release Notes with information about bug fixes, new features etc..

Thanks

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Thanks Eric! Updating NetSUS with the new installer could not have been easier. SSH into your VM then run:

wget http://jamfsoftware-content.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/NetSUSInstaller-2.0.run
sudo sh NetSUSInstaller-2.0.run

Confirm as standalone, confirm proceeding and shazam! Fully updated! Very cool.

Eric, can you confirm if new version resolves the longstanding issue with NetBoot failures across subnet due to encapsulated packets? Has been a real thorn in our sides in deploying it wider.

Reference:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3895

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Why the change from NFS to HTTP for the NetBoot server?

monogrant
Contributor

Documentation PDF - NetBootSUSServerUserGuide_v2.0 - has a typo

In Section: Installing the NetBoot/SUS Server Using an Installer

Page 5, Step 6

6. Go to https://myhostname.local:8443/ to access the NetBoot/SUS server web application.

The URL should be...

https://myhostname.local/webadmin

greicius
New Contributor

Does anyone else have the same problem with the smbuser not having write access to the NetBoot folder?

wyip
Contributor
The NetBoot server hosted by the NetBoot/SUS server now uses HTTP instead of NFS.

If NetBoot is using HTTP, what port is it listening on? Is reposado still on port 80?

sturtus
New Contributor

Several webadmin pages seem to have some issues since upgrading.

- the source for the "Upload NetBoot Image" button looks odd, and it tries to open a URL with the machine name "scripts":

<input id="uploadnbi" class="insideActionButton" type="button" onclick="javascript: return goTo(true, 'smb://scripts/adminHelper.sh: 1: scripts/adminHelper.sh: ifconfig: not found/NetBoot');" value="Upload NetBoot Image" name="uploadnbi"></input>

- the IP Address and Subnet Mask entries in Settings have the following in the input field when loading the page

scripts/adminHelper.sh: 1: scripts/adminHelper.sh: ifconfig: not found

- unable to NetBoot although I receive no errors manually starting dhcpd from the shell

- if I run

echo `ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr' | cut -d ':' -f 2 | cut -d ' ' -f 1`;;

from the command line, I do get the IP address, so it seems like the adminhelperscript is using ifconfig correctly.

EDIT: updating adminHelper.sh with the full path to ifconfig fixed these scripts.

/sbin/ifconfig

simbimbo
New Contributor

Is there a plan to support RHEL?

mtyles
New Contributor

Is openssh-server already install on the Netsus 2.0 appliance? When I try to enable ssh from the console, it replies that it's enabled, but I cannot ssh to the box. Any other suggestions on getting SSH enabled?

I tried sudo apt-get install openssh-server, but it times out, probably due to my proxy settings. Before I go and try to get apt-get thru proxy, I just wanted to make sure I even needed to do this.

Brad_G
Contributor II

@mtyles

It's already installed. If you login and click on the "Settings" tab, choose the Network icon. There is an "Enable SSH" button you have to click. It's kind of easy to overlook if you don't know it's there.

Brad

mtyles
New Contributor

Yes, tried that. It says it's enabled after clicking, but I still can't ssh to it. Network connection failures.

tycho
New Contributor II

I'm having the same trouble to get ssh working. Also for me it says it's enabled after clicking. When I run 'netstat -a' there is nothing listening on port 22. I looked in /etc/init to find a way to start ssh from the console but didn't find anything there. I couldn't find any sshd binary in the file system either.
Any help to would be appreciated.

tycho
New Contributor II

I'm having the same trouble to get ssh working. Also for me it says it's enabled after clicking. When I run 'netstat -a' there is nothing listening on port 22. I looked in /etc/init to find a way to start ssh from the console but didn't find anything there. I couldn't find any sshd binary in the file system either.
Any help to would be appreciated.

tycho
New Contributor II

I found that the sshd is not installed in the VM. When you try to activate ssh the first time it goes out and grabs it and installs it. We had blocked port 80 for all except Apple so we could not get the ssh install. I was all solved with opening of port 80 to the world and a reboot.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

@tycho That's really odd; I've stood up SUS appliances a few times, and SSH was already on each time (though in our case, we had to manually add the proxy to the reposado config for it to get catalogs - nothing related to installing sshd).

tycho
New Contributor II

@JPDyson][/url I set up a test Netsus outside the firewall and /usr/sbin/sshd was not present before I pressed

Enable SSH

. Also checked with tcpdump that it actually made a download the first time the button was pressed. Maybe an European setting ;-)

mtyles
New Contributor

Thanks for everyone's responses. My Netsus server is behind a proxy, which is probably why it couldn't go out and download the components. I modified the reposado/preferences.plist to include the proxy settings for the apple updates, but the "Enable SSH" must not use those proxy settings. I also modified the apt-get preferences for the proxy. I ended up doing an apt-get to download and install OpenSSH. Which subsequently worked. Now I can proceed onto my next issue which is downloading 10.9 updates and deploying them.

I do plan on rebuilding this appliance as I think I may have now screwed it up making these changes. Does anyone have any advice on which config file I would need to add the proxy to to download and configure SSH via the "Enable SSH" button?