New MacBook Pro devices (M1 Pro/Max) with Monterey do not automatically enroll

heginger
New Contributor II

Hey everyone, wondering if anyone is running into similar issues with the brand new MacBook Pros.

we got a shipment of these devices yesterday and, for some reason, they do not automatically enroll with our JAMF server. We can see the devices in Apple Business Manager with their serial numbers etc. (they are shown as "iMac 21.5inch" but that shouldn't matter, right?) and they are clearly assigned to our JAMF environment according to the enrollment history etc.. However, when we to set them up they just do the regular Apple end user installation.

Anyone else with that issue or an idea on how to approach this? Could this be an issue with our JAMF setup (which works just fine with any other Mac) or rather an issue with our Apple Business Manager account?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

heginger
New Contributor II

We found a fix. Renewing/replacing the server token file in "Settings -> Global Management -> Automated Device Enrollment" helped. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Jason33
Contributor III

Boot to Recovery, erase the disk, reinstall the OS and try it again.  We had this happen with a bunch of M1's last year and following that process worked.  Apple nor Jamf was ever able to provide a full explanation of why it was happening (if I recall correctly).

heginger
New Contributor II

Thanks Jason, we'll try and see if that helps.

heginger
New Contributor II

Sadly this doesn't work for us, we've tried with two devices and they go straight back to the Apple default setup.

This just worked for me. We received our M1 Pro 14" MBPs yesterday, and all of them refused to call home to Jamf during Setup Assistant even though they were listed in Settings > Global Management > Automated Device Enrollment > Devices.

I just erased one and reinstalled Monterey from Recovery, and it did indeed go through enrollment properly this time.

JM
New Contributor II

I did the same thing as you, when a device would go straight to the Apple default setup, I'd boot to Recovery, erase the disk, reinstall the OS and try it again. which I've down in the past with intel devices. My problem is when I erased the disk on an M1,  It removed the firmware and now the device will not boot. I followed apple instructions and used Apple Configurator to revive/restore the firmware with another M1 and no luck. I'ii by taking this one to the Genius.

My normal process WAS to connect a network ethernet to the device. Choose the language and country, after that it goes thru enrolling process. 

FYI our token expires in July 

Any suggestions would be enormously helpful! 

heginger
New Contributor II

We found a fix. Renewing/replacing the server token file in "Settings -> Global Management -> Automated Device Enrollment" helped. 

The token wasnt expired?

I just took a look at Settings -> Global Management -> Automated Device Enrollment and it shows a message shows the following message:
Apple’s Terms and Conditions have been updated. The updated agreement must be accepted to modify or assign new devices to any associated PreStage enrollments. See your Apple School Manager instance or Apple Business Manager instance to accept the updated agreement.

We had a similar thing happen when trying to enroll an iPad into ABM through Apple Configurator 2. So it may not be the cert itself, but during the process of getting a new cert, the new set of terms was probably agreed to. Our cert is not expired.

I still have to get the new terms agreed to by an ABM Admin, but hope that after that is complete, it should work as expected without having to change the cert itself.

t_jones
New Contributor III

Has anyone else had this issue? We're also experiencing this with a brand new M1 Max Pro. I wiped the mac, and tried again. I renewed our ASM/ JAMF token in Automated Device Enrollment... 
still having the same issue....

Any ideas?

omatsei
New Contributor III

We're having this issue now. Upgrading our Jamf instance to 10.35, replaced server token, tried re-running the setup wizard, and running "profiles -N" (or "profiles renew -type enrollment"). Nothing works. The console log says:

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.configurationprofiles.fetchDEPRecord

com.apple.message.__source__: SPI

com.apple.message.fetchDEPRecordTime: 1

com.apple.message.depFetchState: success

SenderMachUUID: 752398CA-AC99-3008-82C4-6A6F9BE9B8B0

Going to try to re-install from a USB, but this doesn't bode well.