No Longer Able to Search for Apps in ABM?! Is There a New Process?

AdminACLU
New Contributor

For years I have followed the same procedure when I need to deploy an iOS app through Self Service:

• Log into the ABM account, click on Apps and Books in the sidebar and then start typing the name of the app in the Search bar at the top.
  • Scroll through the list of the apps and find the one that I want and then fill out the quantity and then click the Buy button.
  • In Jamf go to Devices -> Mobile Device Apps and add/modify the record for the app to make it available.

I just went to perform the same procedure but Apps and Books suddenly has a very different behavior: instead of allowing me to search all of the apps on the Apps Store it is only showing me apps that I have already added to Jamf! So I can only see and search on the 63 apps that are already available to me.

Is this some new "feature" in ABM? If so, how do I find and add new apps if I can't search for them in ABM?!

BTW, I thought that something might be screwy with the account that I was using, so I logged into my ABM account for a completely different client that I just setup less than a month ago and there is nothing in the Apps and Books list (because I have not assigned any content for them yet). So, this is definitely not an account-specific problem.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

-John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm on Apple School Manager and it's working for me.

Try selecting TYPE = iPad or Mac in the filtre settings, then type a random word like disk.  It should then display purchased and unpurchased apps that contain the word disk.  Screenshot below.

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 12.45.40.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm not seeing this issue at all with our ABM account. I can search for and pull applications that I know for certain I have never added to our account or deployed. Just tried it 30 seconds ago and its working for me. Have you checked to make sure you don't have a filter of some kind enabled in the search field?

mwoodard87
New Contributor III

@AdminACLU ,

I had this issue with my ABM account as well. It appears something got messed up with the Filter option. I had to purposely set the filter to iOS for this to work and be able to search for iOS apps even though the filter was disabled. The macOS apps worked fine but until I set the filter to be specific to iOS it didn't work. Hope this helps you.

dugnl
Contributor

Yes, there is now a dropdown where you select IOS, Ipad and Mac OS

burnhamt
New Contributor III

When I was using the ASM I had to use the public app store URL to search the app. That was the only way I was able to find the app to download. 

AdminACLU
New Contributor

Hmmm... I do not think that I am seeing the options that you are describing @mwoodard87 and @dugnl. Here is a screenshot of what I see when I have Apps and Book selected in the sidebar:

AdminACLU_0-1627989761254.png

If I click on the Filter icon I get a drop down that allows me to select Type:

AdminACLU_1-1627989826337.png

However that just filters the existing list of 63 apps.

Can someone paste a quick screenshot of the drop down that you are seeing that allows you to select the OS and then perform a search on the App Store? Being able to see what you are seeing in the interface would be very helpful.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help so far!

I'm on Apple School Manager and it's working for me.

Try selecting TYPE = iPad or Mac in the filtre settings, then type a random word like disk.  It should then display purchased and unpurchased apps that contain the word disk.  Screenshot below.

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 12.45.40.png

AdminACLU
New Contributor

Thanks for the screenshot @snowfox! That helped illustrate what everyone else was trying to tell me.

Thanks again to everyone for your help with this.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@AdminACLU 

I saw what you are seeing, start happening in the last month, that unless you specify the platform, it wont search appropriately.  Not sure what Apple did to change this behavior, but it used to find any and all apps with a unfiltered search.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools