No more Jamf Remote...now what?

jonathan_massey
New Contributor III

I wanted to reach out to this forum to see what you all are planning to do when Jamf Remote goes away. As a large K-12 enterprise, our campus tech's rely on Jamf Remote's ability to push commands to devices WAY more than they do the ability to screen share. Our users aren't administrators on our machines, and we don't use localadmin accounts, so SSH-ing into a machine is also not in the cards. We're going to be in quite the pickle.

I'd like to know how others plan to address this, and if there is anything out there than can leverage JAMF remote's abilities that perhaps we don't know about.

6 REPLIES 6

thebrucecarter
Contributor II

Apple Remote Desktop?

SmilieK
New Contributor III

Apple Remote Desktop or TeamViewer

mm2270
Legendary Contributor II

One thing I would start with is rethinking a bit about what you really need to be pushing to your Macs over something like Jamf Remote. I would be willing to bet that some of the items your techs are doing can be handled with regular policies instead of one off commands. I completely understand that at best, this might eliminate a small handful of cases where Jamf Remote is relied upon, leaving a lot still that needs to be addressed.

Regarding where you say you aren't using local admin accounts, can you clarify this for me? Do you not have ANY local admin accounts on the Macs at all? That doesn't seem like a realistic scenario to me. I understand it's technically possible to do this, but it doesn't strike me as a great idea and could put you into some difficult situations.
If using a local admin account is possible, there is always things like Apple Remote Desktop, but this is of course an additional cost. (digression: Why Apple still charges for that product is really beyond my comprehension and seems like an insult given that it hasn't been significantly updated in many years. Microsoft for example, gives RDP away for free, and Microsoft is arguably more reliant on revenue from software than Apple is. Whatever. There's no figuring out Apple sometimes. end digression)

Outside of ARD or VNC {{shudder}}, you may have to consider looking at some other commercial product that can do remote support. But most products out there are geared toward "remote control" and not so much "remote commands", so that might be easier said than done.

In conclusion, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't have a great answer to this one. I had hoped (and still hope) Jamf was going to integrate Jamf Remote's capabilities into their Jamf Pro UI, but we've yet to see that happen, and something tells me they won't have that in the product by the time Jamf Remote.app is axed.

debrat
New Contributor III

We find the 'Files & Processes' payload in Policies as a quick way to send commands to scoped computers. The main difference is this can't be sent on-demand like Jamf remote but can be posted in self service for users to run or set on a trigger. 

jcarr
Contributor III

To piggy-back on @mm2270 and @debrat, if you find that there is a small subset of commands that you typically push out via Jamf Remote for frequent help desk scenarios, you may want to consider setting up a 'first aid' or 'self help' category and adding a bunch of these items as 'files and processes' policies and adding them to Self Service in that new category.  Users may not run them on their own, but when a user calls the help desk, rather than the tech pushing via Jamf Remote, they can just ask the user to open Self Service and click the appropriate policy.

Just a thought.

mark_sampers
Contributor

I'm hoping Jamf Remote stays around until Jamf comes up with a better replacement.  I wouldn't mind issuing a on demand policy through the web portal but I don't want policies (waiting computer check in) replacing what Jamf Remote did on demand.  As with @jonathan_massey I work in a school district with over 30 buildings.  Each building has a tech that depends on Jamf Remote to manage their computers.  If we were to move to policies or Self Service for simple tasks (printer addition or one-off application addition), it would get messy fast and hard to manage.