Not able to boot from a restorable dmg created in autocaspernbi and OS X Sierra.

isradame
Contributor

I created an nbi dmg using AutoCasperNBI version 1.3.4, OS X Sierra and Casper 9.96, with the same settings that I have done with previous OS. What is happening, is that when at boot using a USB drive, it just never loads to the Desktop. But the actual NetBoot.dmg works fine via NetBoot.
Its just is I want to boot from USB that it never loads the desktop.

11 REPLIES 11

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@isradame Did you restore the NetBoot.dmg to the USB? Or the 10.12AutoCasperNBI.restorable.dmg?

isradame
Contributor

Hi bentoms, from the 10.12AutoCasperNBI.restorable.dmg. The NetBoot.dmg works fine via NetBoot.

bentoms

@isradame Ok. Did you try verbose booting to see where it's having an issue.

FWIW, I did test this & @dgreening just mentioned in Slack that it worked for him too.

So.. hoping/guessing it's more a bug your side.

Might be worth wiping the disk & trying again.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

@bentoms yep! i created a nbi on ABNI 1.3.4 with both 10.12 and 10.11.6 and Imaging 9.96 and was able to use the restorable in both cases. I will say that I experienced some weird behavior on the 10.12 based one: install dmgs showing up as mounted on the desktop, extreme slowness in installing dmgs pre-boot. The 10.11.6 one works great!

isradame
Contributor

869ecb205b0a4fd5bff4935a6c5fdef6

isradame
Contributor

Its been almost 20 minutes and the "SmartBattery: finished pulling type 4", just keeps looping.

bentoms

@isradame Hmm.. can you try another Mac?

Else, maybe try & recreate the USB.

I'm at a loss TBH.

isradame
Contributor

I tried another Mac, still the same thing. I even did a restorable.dmg with just the OS and CasperImage, and left every setting as default. Still the same issue. I am starting to think it may be the OS.dmg. I am testing the same AutoCasperNBI settings with an OS 10.11.6.dmg.

sebra
New Contributor

Has there ever been a solution for this problem?
I'm having the same issues.
JSS 9.96 with macOS Sierra on 2015 MacBooks.
USB boot only leads to the white circle cross error. Not using a netboot.

rhooper
Contributor III

We have tried a NetBoot server several years back and it was slow, so we creaated several image MBA units set to Target Disk mode and the ThunderBolt cable... things went fast. 1000+ devices done in Three different geological locations in Three days.
We had to build our package using AutoDMG though, nothing else seemed to work well enough for us.

Maybe I am way off base here.????

bentoms

@sebra The restorable DMG feature works for people.

1. Are you restoring the ".restorable.dmg"?
  2. Have you tried another external drive?