Not Enough disk space to install ******.dmg on this volume

Randydid
Contributor II

Hello and good morning,

I am new to Casper. I just created a rather large (and time consuming) image. I captured the image with Composer. Now, when I try to drop the image on another machine for testing. I select the volume, I choose Erase drive, then select the image I just created, and then reboot after image. I get a message stating that I do not have enough space when it tries to erase the drive/installing package, it errors out. I can get around this by launching Disk Utility and manually erasing the drive then relaunching the client and NOT selecting the option to erase the drive first.

I am sure it is something really simple, I am just not seeing. I have tried Diskless and non on the NBI in Server Admin.

9 REPLIES 9

millersc
Valued Contributor

Was this drive partitioned previously? How big is your "large" image vs. your HDD it's going on?

Randydid
Contributor II

The drive was partitioned-3/4 TB. It is a test machine. My image is about 43GB.

pblake
Contributor III

Did you Scan For Restore in Disk Utility prior?
apple.com/thread/2611443

millersc
Valued Contributor

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5990
I couldn't find the thread pblake posted, so this should help.

Randydid
Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I *thought* I had scanned the disk for restore but maybe not. I did that and so far the image is dropping on two different test machines without error. Thanks for the help and quick responses. I look forward to attending my CSE training coming up in July.

/randy

Randydid
Contributor II

A followup question is why does't the Composer app take care of this? It does a lot of other helpful things....

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi Randy
Welcome to Jamf Nation!

I have two comments regarding this: First I would respectfully say that you should consider embracing the JAMF way of modular imaging...as you said yourself, creating a 43 GB imaging is very time consuming and defeats some of the awesomeness of the Casper Suite and modular imaging...
Another thing is, I saw this same error a week or two ago, and it led me to see that I had chosen the wrong OS .dmg for what I was doing.... but was definitely not too big for my target drive, so maybe that error gets thrown when it is not necessarily the actual real problem?!?

Randydid
Contributor II

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the input. No worries. This particular image is going out to hundreds of Macs in our campus computer labs. The imaging is being done by students-many of them. As a result, I wanted to bake-in as much as I can to eliminate human error. Also, we are using some very license intensive apps like Matlab (10GB install!) that require some considerable customizations and I wanted to make it friction free as possible.

I will be bringing LOTS of question to my training in July!

Thanks again everyone.

/randy

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I create my OS dmgs with Composer and have no issues. I do not use Disk Utility or other tools.
If you captured your entire drive, did you use the OS choice in Composer? That would clean up all the OS type stuff...