Office updates - what is the solution

Captainamerica
Contributor II

I´ve been trying for really long time to find a solution for deployin office updates.

Yes - there is the microsoft autoupdate that I use with config profile to force automatic update. But people have to restart their apps before it is updating.

Then there is the newer thing with the 60 minutes countdown that once worked for me. But now it does not seem to work anymore since moving to catalina

What are other admins doing to get this working?

If I see MSAU the updates for each applications is only 100mb or so. But if I look at the official update packages to office application they are 1gb(!) which will be really heavy to deploy.

What about Munki ? - Is that something that can solve this ? I am not that familiar how Munki can work. The main thing I need is that updates MUST be applied and apps force to be restarted with X amount of time.

If I could find incremental updates (the small ones) somwhere I could also do some jamf helper script etc, but don´t know if that is a solution

10 REPLIES 10

talkingmoose

Regardless of how you update, the apps need to be restarted. You shouldn't apply software updates to any app while it's running.

@pbowden with Microsoft has been tackling the Microsoft AutoUpdate (MAU) problems with deferrals and the countdown in the #microsoft-office channel in MacAdmins Slack. He's posted a couple of test builds that you may want to help test and give some feedback. Help him and you help yourself (and other admins)!

MAU is still one of the best ways to deploy updates because it's configurable, automatic and reduces download sizes dramatically. It downloads silently and waits to apps to restart to install. And it's very quick.

jhuls
Contributor III

@talkingmoose I haven't looked at MAU in quite some time. Can you tell me if it's possible to do updates with it when no user is logged in? On my end I'd like to have a consistent system for handling updates and when I last looked at MAU, it only seemed to work when a user was logged in.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Captainamerica and @talkingmoose Be aware that none of the MAU test builds that @pbowden has posted in the #microsoft-autoupdate Slack channel resolve the issue(s) with forced updates. but his last comments in that channel indicate the June update should resolve them.

Captainamerica
Contributor II

I have been using the MAU, but think there are constantly changes that again causes issues, so I am really tired of using a product that seem to be changed very often and causing bugs. So hoped there was a different way

Yes Apps of course have to be restarted to be updated, but looking for a way to force restart of office apps, as these slide-in notification that restart must happen the daily user just ignore

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Captainamerica I definitely feel your pain on this, and I think it's safe to say there have been some communication issues with the team currently responsible for MAU regarding its failure to function as described/expected. @pbowden's recent investigative work has reassured me the issues have been raised with the appropriate parties inside Microsoft that can drive them to resolution. Hopefully in the June update.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

I'm sure there is a better way, but I've been using the 2019/2016 "Update packages" at this site: Office Updates.

No more weird issues from users, especially with Outlook crashing. It's annoying to download all these packages separately, but it works without issues for me. I get the rest of the updates like MAU, Skype and One Drive from macadmins site.

Captainamerica
Contributor II

I will give it a last shot here in with the June update. But I don´t hope we again end up with a fix that few weeks later again brake, as a new version then just suddenly break what was fixed earlier.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Captainamerica 🤞that they fix both the code in MAU, and the QA testing matrix that should be used to validate a release, so that the problems don't reappear.

pbowden
Contributor III

@Captainamerica I definitely appreciate your patience while we sort out these quality issues.

JamfMyMac
Contributor

Hello,
Jamf has option for "push/force" updates on 0365 apps. Not sure if you have used it.. but for us it does not seem to work.
I am here looking for a solution to AUTO magically patch my 0365 apps NOT using MAU and not using JAMFs builtin pgk upload patch management utility as there is NO control of when and what times it pushes updates.
Any thing helps... thank you..