One Note for Mac is out today.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-onenote/id784801555?mt=12

Description
Harness the immense potential of your thoughts and discoveries with OneNote, your very own digital notebook. With OneNote, you can capture that flash of genius, that moment of inspiration, or that list of errands that’s too important to forget. Whether you’re at home, in the office or on the go, your notes travel with you. And you can share your notes and collaborate with others, across multiple devices!

Here are some more ideas on how to use OneNote: •Capture rich notes for classwork, meetings, or research
•Keep track of your shopping list and mark items off wherever you are
•Create an itinerary and keep track of your travel plans for your next big vacation
•Take pictures of receipts and bills to remove some of the paper clutter
•Collaborate and share ideas with your team •Research items and prices to make the best purchasing decision
•Keep and edit all of your notes – whether taken from OneNote on Mac, tablet, phone, or browser

Key Features:
•Sync your notebooks seamlessly across computers and devices -then share them to your friends, family, or colleagues
•Your notes look just the same on your Mac - including rendering ink annotation and formatting
•Bold, italicize, underline, highlight, increase indent, decrease indent - format your notes like you want in a free form canvas
•Search your notes and files for anything you’ve captured by just typing a keyword or phrase
•Create, move, copy, re-order, rename, color code and delete pages, sections and notebooks to organize your content as you'd like

Harness the full potential of you - with OneNote.

Requirements: •Requires OS X 10.9 or greater
•A free Microsoft account is required to use OneNote for Mac •OneNote for Mac opens existing notebooks created in Microsoft OneNote 2010 format or later and are saved to OneDrive

Now available for free for a limited time.

12 REPLIES 12

quedayone
Contributor

No SharePoint integration with this version. :-(

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Hmm it's not showing up in an App Store search, does this take some time after a new app is added?

quedayone
Contributor

chrispetersmark
New Contributor

Just popped up in the App Store general search for me, searched for "one note".

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Um, so storage is cloud only (with a local cached for offline use) and a Microsoft account is required? Seems pretty Enterprise-unfriendly to me if corporate data is being stored in the cloud with no other options.

charlesludwick
New Contributor III

Read the privacy concerns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OneDrive#Privacy_concerns

Data stored on OneDrive is subject to monitoring by Microsoft, and any content that is in violation of Microsoft's Code of Conduct is subject to removal and may lead to temporary or permanent shutdown of an account. This has led to privacy concerns in relation to data stored on OneDrive.[57] Microsoft has responded by indicating that "strict internal policies [are] in place to limit access to a user’s data", and that advanced mechanisms, such as Microsoft's automated PhotoDNA scanning tool, are utilized to ensure users abide with the Code of Conduct and that their account does not contain illegal files (including, but not limited to, partial human nudity (including art or drawings), any discussion of purchasing firearms, any online surveys, etc.[58]).[59]

Rice
New Contributor II

Anyway to have this work without a MS account?

krichterjr
Contributor
No SharePoint integration with this version. :-(

Yep, without SharePoint integration it's a waste of space for us.

colonelpanic
Contributor

I was very frustrated to see that I couldn't use it without creating an account. Can not be used in the enterprise this way :-(

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

No Sharepoint, and it doesn't work with password-protected files.

But hey, maybe this means they're actually working on a new Office suite for Mac?

franton
Valued Contributor III

I dunno, there's a lot not to like about this. Especially the insistence that you have an ms account to use it and the major lack of feature parity between it and the Windows version.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/new-free-onenote-for-os-x-is-a-preview-of-the-next-office-for-m...

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Just wanted to update this thread, as Microsoft released OneNote 15.8 (Yosemite-only) earlier this past March, and 15.8.1 (also Yosemite-only) exists in the Office for Mac 2016 Preview.

A year later and there are still three glaring issues for corporate users:
a) requires a Microsoft account or an Office 365 login
b) can't open a .one file natively, at least not from a local drive (don't get me started about copying sensitive corporate data to OneDrive)
c) can't open files from SharePoint

The 15.8.1 preview release does at least give the pretense of opening files from SharePoint (Open->Add Service->SharePoint), but in my limited testing it showed me two of the folders, and none of the files, from the SharePoint directory. Sigh. Maybe in the release.

Pathetic, Microsoft.

As an aside, anyone familiar with Outline?
http://outline.ws/mac
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/outline/id604802021?mt=12

It claims to be able to open OneNote 2010 and 2014 files. May need to go down this path, at least for read-only. For collaboration, my clients are stuck waiting for Microsoft to get their act together.