Oracle's Java 8 Update 40 now available as a signed installer package

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It appears Oracle has reversed course with regards to the install application and the Ask.com browser add-ons. Java 8 Update 40 is now available as a signed installer package from https://www.java.com/download/.

fcb189c4815c48f09b451a7690537318

Thanks to @foigus for the heads-up.

14 REPLIES 14

kish_jayson
Contributor

The build number also appears to have been increased from 1.8.40.25 to 1.8.40.26.

pearlin
New Contributor III

The system works! Although, so did your method for repackaging the installer app as a pkg. Thanks Rich!

elliotjordan
Contributor III

Amen.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Download carefully and verify build versions, as I have been able to find both b25 (jre-8u40-macosx-x64.dmg) and b26 (jre-8u40-fcs-bin-b26-macosx-x86_64-07_mar_2015.dmg) on the Oracle Java site today.

mactastic:~ admin$ /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version
java version "1.8.0_40"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_40-b26)

foigus
New Contributor III

@dstranathan It looks like Oracle changed the name of the downloadable dmg (to "jre-8u40-macosx-x64.dmg") without changing the content of the installer (still a .pkg). Possibly so it properly gels with their installation documentation.

scottb
Honored Contributor

So I just went to look for the installer .pkg and don't see it?
Also, downloading and installing the "JavaAppletPlugin.pkg" gives me:

java version "1.8.0_40"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_40-b27)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

Nicely done, Oracle.

spalmer
Contributor III

@rtrouton I am not sure why, but I just tried downloading this today from the main Java download link you posted and I am still getting the nasty application installer with Ask.com and an embedded .pkg file that is not signed. I even tried downloading via Chrome and Firefox to see if that would trigger the page grabbing a different installer but they grabbed the same thing as Safari.

If I use the .pkg installer embedded in the application and check the version via the control panel the version is 1.8.0_40-b27.

Is there something you did differently to get the signed installer package?

rtrouton

Cripes! They changed it again!

rtrouton

Confirmed, Oracle's changed the installer available from https://www.java.com/download/ back to being the install application.

961d075fac5b40aeaedf081109322c8e

There is also a new build number for the version of Java installed: Java 8 Update 40, build 27.

The installer package stored inside the install application (/path/to/Java 8 Update 40.app/Contents/Resources/JavaAppletPlugin.pkg) is now a signed installer.

aa91c765681e4d268891fc1c57f0a212

918d376736a6424aa096b834fc49522b

pearlin
New Contributor III

Correction to earlier post:

The system worked, until it didn't! Let's all have a big "boo" for Oracle!

Thanks @rtrouton, your unbundling method saves the day!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Sigh. And here I was thinking some sane minds existed inside Oracle. (It was foolish thinking it seems)
Apparently they only reverted the installer to give them time to get a signed pkg inside their stupid app installer. Big fail Oracle!

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

"Previously, on Java 8..."

Java 8 Update 40b25 was an unsigned installer application (.app) with optional Ask.com adware. Boo!
Java 8 Update 40b26 went to a signed package installer (.pkg) with no adware. Yay!
Java 8 Update 40b27 went to a signed installer application (.app). with optional Ask.com adware. Boo!

At this point, I think I'll hedge my bets and just keep extracting & rolling my own a la @rtrouton.

Stay tuned for Update Java 8 Update 40b28, kids!

gskibum
Contributor III

After running into the Ask toolbar thing just now, I dropped in to say Oracle is back to stuck on stupid. Of course other Casper admins already beat me to it! :-)

rtrouton