OSX Lion is a POS. Now SMB doesn't work!

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

My smb bombed out as soon as I loaded 10.7.2, but fixed my AD.

1 step forward, 10 steps back, hopefully the first official service pack
will make it usable.

John Wojda

Lead System Engineer, DEI & Mobility

3333 Beverly Rd. B2-338B

Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Phone: (847)286-7855

Page: (224)532.3447

Team Lead DEI: Matt Beiriger
<mailto:mbeirig at searshc.com;jwojda at searshc.com?subject=John%20Wojda%20Fe
edback&body=I%20am%20contacting%20you%20regarding%20John%20Wojda.>

Team Lead Mobility: Chris
<mailto:cstaana at searshc.com;jwojda at searshc.com?subject=John%20Wojda%20Fe
edback&body=I%20am%20contacting%20you%20regarding%20John%20Wojda.> Sta
Ana

Mac Tip/Tricks/Self Service & Support
<http://bit.ly/gMa7TB>

"Any time you choose to be inflexible in your approach to an
unpredictable project you are already building failure into your plan"

11 REPLIES 11

Matt
Valued Contributor

Apple talked all this mess about Vista. Thus far Lion has been one of the worst OS's we've had here in a while minus of course 10.3!
--
Matt Lee, CCA/ACMT/ACPT/ACDT
Senior IT Analyst / Desktop Architecture Team / Apple S.M.E / JAMF Casper Administrator
Fox Networks Group

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Somebody hasn't been drinking the Apple Koolaid enough...
:)

Matt
Valued Contributor

I worked at Apple for 4 years… I am immune to KoolAid!
--
Senior IT Analyst / Desktop Architecture Team / Apple S.M.E / JAMF Casper Administrator
Fox Networks Group

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Guys. File bug reports about these ASAP.

The sooner you file, the sooner apple (hopefully) fix.

Not to mention the NDA issues.

Regards,

Ben.

fsjjeff
Contributor II

After 7 or so years in OS X admin and deployment, I kinda find the weeping and gnashing of teeth with every OS X release kinda funny (although I've been there, so can still sympathize). Are people seriously expecting a new version of Apple's OS to be ready for Active Directory and Enterprise deployment?

Quite frankly, the history of pretty much every OS X release has been that it starts out as generally ok for home use, but not remotely ready for enterprise until later. I know for a fact that in our environment there were show-stopping AD bugs in the first few releases of 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 (don't even get me started on anything before 10.4).

My policy? Don't even think about officially deploying a new version of OS X until at least the x.3 update, when Apple might finally get around to fixing some of the worst of the AD / SMB / Enterprise bugs. If you're seriously trying to deploy this on any mission critical equipment you're crazy!

And that includes not buying any new hardware that ships with a new version until you're ready for the new OS... (a policy that breaks down pretty quick when the District Superintendent orders himself a nice new MacBook Air and *needs* it setup today).

Of course, that doesn't preclude loading it onto test machines and sending as many bug reports to Apple as possible.

Jeff

Matt
Valued Contributor

The issue is roadmaps. It just so happens Lion was released (without proper notice) right as we our Fiscal starts (people buying tons of machines). We are stuck.

--
Fox Networks Group

talkingmoose

Without proper notice? We've known since October that Lion would release
On 8/1/11 5:06 PM, "Matthew Lee" <Matt.Lee at fox.com> wrote:
Summer 2011. I have to agree with Jeff that anyone expecting a brand new
Mac OS release to be ready this quickly out-of-the-gate isn't paying
attention to history.

If you are somehow forced to support Lion right now or starting within the
next 2-3 months then that's not really Apple's fault. That would be your
institution's fault. I started lobbying 6-9 months ago to get as many
machines here upgraded to new hardware before summer just so we could
reliably support them on Snow Leopard.

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Most vendors will work with you to reserve enough HW to last you a couple/few months. A savvy procurement person can source enough HW from multiple vendors too. For our clients who have approved vendors lists, we can get around the rule for an "emergency" like this (as long as the approved vendors are unable to provide). We have 250 Macs being refreshed in the next 60 days (there may be more) so we were able to source enough Macs to tie us over.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Matt
Valued Contributor

Thats not my decision. My management tells me Microsoft gives us a roadmap where is yours. I don't have one. Noway to put it we knew Lion was coming out we didn't know what date. All tech companies except Apple that we deal with give us good notice to whats going on. I knew more about 8.21 JSS then I did Lion.

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Same here, feel your pain!

250 macbook airs coming in next week

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Yep. I'm in the same boat. I have the unfortunate luck of working at a facility where the IT happens separated from where the end-user IT purchasing occurs. Makes it rather difficult to plan for folks who always want to be on the cutting edge. You're constantly in a state of reaction and even worse-so with Apple fans.

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420