Paper Cut follow me printing issue

Paitcheson
New Contributor

Having a strange issue with follow me printing.

i install the printer as normal on my mac client. i test it, it all works fine and prints ok. i then use casper admin to capture the printer. i go to the JSS and its all good. i tick the box "Allow printers that connect directly to user's computer " as there is a post on here that says to tick this if you dont see the printers on the clients. anyway, i deploy the printers through a configuration profile to a set of test machines. i log into the machines and the printer is there and showing green lights. however, when i send a job to it, it claims to have printed fine but when i go to the printer and login the job count is 0. if i manually add the printer again on the client using the exact same details and repeat the process the printing jobs actually go through fine.

so whats happening in the delpoyment where the jobs arent reaching the printer?

anyone had this issue before?

cheers

P Aitchy

5 REPLIES 5

agrosvenor
New Contributor

Do your printers deploy appropriately via Casper Remote?

Goober22
New Contributor III

Can you verify that it is installing the driver to go along with it? I have had the same issue. Do a manual push of the driver before you try to have self service install the printer and see if that works.

Paitcheson
New Contributor

hi - never got a notification for these replies - still have the same issue!! it is installing the driver just fine. its being captured by casper admin, or i can deploy via remote. in both cases when i send a job to the printer it doesnt print. if i go to the print server queue it logs the job but as "jamfpro" - so instead of using the AD creds which need to put the job into the right queue it just uses the jamfpro account. if i add the printer manually it works fine, its just as soons as i do a capture it automatically passes the jamf creds to papercut....

tjhall
Contributor III

Are you printing using LDAP via AD?
Might be that you need to script the authentication for the user.
Might be that you have to capture the print server spooler manually first?

This is what I used to do which worked.
Setup:

System prefs/Printers
Click “Advanced”
Type: Windows printer via spools
Device: Another Device
URL: smb://IP of the print spooler queue
Name: Name of printer queue
Use: select software; Specify printer driver software
Click “Add”

Capture the printer in Jamf Admin

I then added a script that ran after install.
sudo lpadmin -p "B&W printer queue name from previous" -o auth-info-required=username,password
sudo lpadmin -p "B&W printer queue name from previous" -o auth-info-required=username,password

joshuasee
Contributor III

Try the ideas given previously in this thread, but I would note that I ran into persistent problems with student print jobs inexplicably evaporating that were solved by transitioning from SMB printing to LDP using the proprietary PaperCut LPD service, which would need to be installed on the print server(s).