Patch Management - MS Office Definitions Incorrectly Report as Unknown Version

Cranappras
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've noticed recently that the Jamf provided MS Office definitions are reporting "Unknown Version" for all of the Office apps on most of our client systems. The systems are all running recent office versions (most on 16.21.x), and the installation packages are normally downloaded from https://macadmins.software. If I look at the actual application inventory on a system, it reports the proper version, but the patch definition isn't matching it up to one of the versions that it tracks. I also tried manually installing the latest 16.22 update, did an inventory update, and the patch definitions still claim it is an unknown version. Everything was working fine up until a week or two ago. Is anyone else experiencing this or have any idea how to resolve?
36c3c3f4199d4a1ca81cf5001987ade1
16302f853ce24c509222b7117cec5f89
e1ef0cb0b0f5400ba231ae56abf56dca

12 REPLIES 12

bramstedtb
New Contributor III

Does your patch management list 16.22 as an available definition for Outlook? Patch management only lists a version as known if that version is in it's list of definitions. The definitions in Jamf Pro can take a few days, sometimes a week, to update after the application update is released.

jkryklywec
New Contributor III

I see this as well for both 16.21 and 16.22 in patch, and Jamf patch refs are updated showing 16.21.x and 16.22.x
any ideas? anyone else

captain-paul
New Contributor II

I had the same story when I provided the office apps trough VPP. Then I switched back to autopkgr and the traditional packages.

jkryklywec
New Contributor III

All of my packages are from macadmins does not matter if its the full installers or the individual app installers for 16.22 or 16.21

Captainamerica
Contributor II

It is a known issue at the moment. They are working on it

Cranappras

Ok, thanks @Captainamerica , hopefully they have it resolved soon.

Cranappras

Has anyone heard of any progress regarding this issue?

hstanley
New Contributor III

Any updates on this issue? I'm seeing the same. I noticed the behavior shortly after I converted our MySQL database storage engine from MyISAM to InnoDB, so I'm curious if that's related. Anyone else notice that correlation?

Cranappras

@hstanley We haven't done the conversion yet, so I don't think it is related.

hstanley
New Contributor III

@Cranappras Thanks for your reply! Sorry it took me so long to see it! We were running Jamf Pro 10.9.0 here (with our database already converted to InnoDB) when the problem was evident. We just upgraded to 10.10.1 this morning, and now the problem is gone. Woo hoo! Which version are you running? Maybe consider an upgrade? BTW, there are some pretty significant "known issues" in 10.10.x, so make sure you check those out before scheduling an upgrade, if you decide to go that route.

MacKobus
New Contributor II

I did the conversion and upgrade to 10.10.1 yesterday hoping it would resolve this issue but no such luck, still showing as "unknown".

AzamRafiq
New Contributor

I'm getting 50% of the estate having an 'unknown' version of PowerPoint. Maybe Jamf's Patch Management, Definition needs to be updated but 'This software title definition has been verified by Jamf.' Latest version of PowerPoint is 16.32.19120900 but the Definition thinks it's 16.32.19120802