Patch Management Smart Groups Not Updating?

musat
Contributor III

At some point after updating to Jamf 10.7 (and now 10.7.1) the Smart Groups I have referencing Patch Management versions don't seem to be updating correctly. Specifically, I have a Smart Group for "Firefox ESR is Less Than 60.2.1" using the Patch Reporting criteria. Just the one line referencing Patch Reporting: Mozilla Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR). Currently it is showing 569 members. However, when I go into the Patch Management tab and look at the details of Firefox ESR, it shows 2439 devices on lesser versions.

I am seeing similar results in our Google Chrome groups. Before I open a support ticket, I figured I would post here to see if this is something that other people are seeing. I didn't see any posts, but that could have been just bad searching.

Thanks, Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

I put in a ticket about this and was told it's known and filed as PI-006279. The only workaround is to use Application Title/Application Version criteria, which is not ideal.

I'm getting a little tired of major functionality breaking with each new update, and having to wait 1-2 more versions to get it back.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

I put in a ticket about this and was told it's known and filed as PI-006279. The only workaround is to use Application Title/Application Version criteria, which is not ideal.

I'm getting a little tired of major functionality breaking with each new update, and having to wait 1-2 more versions to get it back.

musat
Contributor III

Thanks. Yes, very annoying to have basic functionality break with updates.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Only to have some other functionality or two get broken. It's not even just that it takes a few revs to fix bugs. It's the near constant introduction of new bugs/defects, and in some cases, even reintroducing bugs, that is really hurting the reputation of the product. Come on Jamf. You folks really need to do a better job with this stuff.

SvenB
New Contributor II

I have the same problem. Its really annoying.

davidhiggs
Contributor III

Just noticed and logged a support ticket on this too. I'm giving patch management a good go but i'm regretting nearly every bit of it, there is no end to the bugs.

JAMF need to have a good hard look at patch management, talk to some key customers and decide on fixing it or dumping it and starting over.

thegooch49
New Contributor III

Just chiming in here, that I'm having the same problem. Flash 31.0.0.122 made a bit of a mess for me when I figured out this wasn't applying correctly. It's odd that 'flash-version' is a built in EA used by patch management, but we can't use that EA as a criteria for a smart group. I would rather rely on an EA directly for my criteria, rather than some other mechanism that is relying on the EA and passing it back through.

georgecm12
Contributor III

I'm apparently having the same issue here. Using "Patch Reporting Software Title" as a search or smart group criteria produces entirely inaccurate and unpredictable results.

For example: a search for "'Patch Reporting: Jamf Admin' is '10.7.1'" in my environment produces a list of 29 machines, none of which even have Jamf Admin installed. It also does not return the machine in my environment that does have Jamf Admin 10.7.1.

This is ridiculous. I'm thinking that Jamf needs to have another one of those phases where no new features are incorporated into the software, where they only work on stomping out bugs (along with whatever is absolutely necessary to support new OS releases).

blochcw
New Contributor II

Creating new Policies now yields no machines in scope, even if I clone a previous policy that is currently showing machines in scope. This seems to be a pretty serious bug.

Hernandez
New Contributor II

ditto @blochcw I have previously had to restart tomcat services, which is not a desired course of action, for computers to show as eligible. Crickets from Jamf Support at the moment.

blochcw
New Contributor II

@Hernandez What version are you on? My patch management issues have cleared up since upgrading my environment to 10.8. I have seen the interface take a minute or 2 to properly display the scoped machines but it's pretty reliable at this point.

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

@blochcw

We are on 10.8.1 and have the issue. I was hoping to see if someone on 10.9 could say if they have the issue or not.

Hernandez
New Contributor II

Great news that 10.8 has seemingly resolved it for you @blochcw ! We are still on 10.6.1. As @FritzsCorner has pointed out, now I am wondering it best to wait and update to 10.9 once the dust settles (I try to avoid being an early adopter). Thank you for your feedback gentlemen!

Hernandez
New Contributor II

Apparently, the issue has been resolved with v10.9 according to Jamf Support:

*"With the release of Jamf Pro 10.9.0, we were able to resolve a number of Product Issues. I'm happy to report that a Product Issue you reported or was attached to one of your Support Cases has been fixed.

For more information about all Product Issues resolved with this release, please see the "Bug Fixes and Enhancements" section of the Version 10.9.0 Release Notes.

Thanks for helping improve Jamf Pro!"*