Portland. Oregon Area User Group

pat_best
Contributor III

I am wondering if there are folks around Portland that would be interested in getting together to share ideas and even have a bite to eat if the mood strikes? I am open to suggestions on when and where to do this, so please let me know what your thoughts are!

Thanks,

Pat Best

28 REPLIES 28

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

I'll definitely be there if my schedule allows. I'd say something simple like a McMenamins or something. My preference would be a weeknight around 5:30 or so... not sure if that works for others.

mpienpakdee
New Contributor

We might be able to host this downtown at New Relic if there is interest in a meetup.

pat_best
Contributor III

Thanks Mark! That makes three of us!

quade
New Contributor

Some of us from Nike would join the conversation

analog_kid
Contributor

I might show up depending on when it is. In or close to downtown is preferred for me. Keep me in the loop!

pat_best
Contributor III

I haven't let this die, just working through some summer projects! In all reality I wouldn't expect to do this until the fall... maybe Octoberish.... that gives me plenty of time to plan and for everyone to schedule.

pat_best
Contributor III

also with a long lead in time, maybe we can drag a Jamf rep into our little party :)

pat_best
Contributor III

I wanted to resurrect this discussion as I am finally getting to a part of the year when I can start breathing again! I am considering November 7th (Friday) as a possible date. I am open to discussion for day of the week if Fridays are bad for anyone. Possibly 6ish until we are done. @mpienpakdee had offered New Relic Offices as a possible meet up place and I could work on getting some food and drink in there if that would be acceptable to the venue. Any thoughts?

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

Who all is going to JNUC? The 7th might work but it's a 3 day weekend for some so they might be heading out of town Friday evening... just a thought.

pat_best
Contributor III

oops! I should probably look closer at my calendar! I agree with not trying on a 3 day weekend. Let's put up the 14th as an alternate if the 7th is no good

elislider
New Contributor

I'd definitely be interested as well, though my time spent working on our Casper environment is overwhelmed with other unrelated tasks, at least with JNUC happening, its fresh in my mind.
-E

pat_best
Contributor III

I let my calendar get away from me.... I don't want to push too hard for the 14th of November so I am setting Friday December 5th as our date.

@mpienpakdee, do you think new relic could host for us? I am thinking it would be after work around 6 pm? How many people can you guys comfortably host? I will work on getting some food and drinks in there and will keep everyone informed about any changes.

I am open to any thoughts or suggestions! Thanks!

mpienpakdee
New Contributor

Pat-

Let me check with our managers on after hours use. Our lunchroom can host ~100 or so.

Mark

pat_best
Contributor III

Sounds great! Thanks for the checking into it!

pat_best
Contributor III

just a little nudge to bring this to the top for anyone interested, thanks!

alan
New Contributor

Depending on the date I'd be interested

pat_best
Contributor III

The date is Friday the 5th of December I am thinking around 6pm? Time and location are still being worked out

mpienpakdee
New Contributor

Hi everyone-

I just checked and unfortunately Friday Dec 5 isn't gonna work at New Relic. We've got a big weekend project and the office won't be available that day. Happy to look at some other dates, maybe in January? We can spread the word a bit more and get a good turnout after the holidays?

Mark

elislider
New Contributor

At this rate we'll never meet up!
What are people's expectations for size of space, availability of snacks, media resources, etc?
Its possible we could host at UofP but it depends on a few factors.

Eliot Sluyter
Desktop Engineer
University of Portland

nick_king
New Contributor II

Hello,

I realized this is an older post, but wondering if there are any user group meetings in the near future. I'm in the process of moving back to Portland, from NYC, and am looking to see if any one knows of any opportunities at companies that use Casper. Look forward to hearing from someone.

Cheers!

• Nick King

pat_best
Contributor III

Hi Nick! I have not pushed to get the user group rolling again and am not aware of another group meeting up in the area. I am actually in the Eugene area so my knowledge of job availability in Portland is fairly limited. Welcome back to Oregon!

mikebetzel
New Contributor

Can't believe I am just seeing this group. Was searching for groups like this near Portland and established a Meetup Group

Was hoping to shoot for a Meetup near the end of June.

Let me know what you all think!

pat_best
Contributor III

I got myself rolled into the meetup group. I am in Eugene so I will be on the outside on the planning of this but I am definitely interested in a meet and greet!

russeller
Contributor III

@pat.best I'm a new Casper Admin to the Portland area. I'd love to join a meetup in June. Count me in.

ayla_abbott
New Contributor III

I've no idea if this thread is relevant anymore, but in the event that the PDX group decides to meet again I too would be interested.

russeller
Contributor III

Are you on the MacAdmin slack team @ayla.abbott? We made a PDX channel there and were chatting about a potential meet up. Do you have any suggestions about a place to meet?

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Greetings, all! I'm moving to Portland next month in March and would love to be added to an existing listserv, if one exists. I've gone ahead and joined the PDX Slack channel as well :)

russeller
Contributor III

@sepiemoini Welcome! in the #pdx channel you'll see the info about meet ups, etc. There is also an active Seattle group, though it's a bit of a drive.