PreStage Enrollment for existing devices

dresslah
New Contributor III

We have 60 computers that were enrolled in JAMF via QuickAdd Packages. I've set our DEP up and those devices are now "unassigned"
If I choose to check "Automatically Assign New Devices" to our PreStage Enrollment, will that re-enroll JAMF on all devices that are currently "Unassigned", with the given configuration in PreStage?

If so, are there any downsides to doing this? I would think as long as you mimic the things you've done separately, to your PreStage configuration, it would be seamless.

11 REPLIES 11

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@adamdressler No, machines won't run the PreStage until you force them to go through Setup Assistant again if they're already enrolled in Jamf Pro. "Automatically Assign New Devices" means that as new devices are added to your ABM/ASM account, and from there assigned to your Jamf Pro system, they will be added to your PreStage at that time.

dresslah
New Contributor III

Great to hear! Thanks.

nycnewman
New Contributor III

How do you force a machine to go through setup assistant again?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@nycnewman Usually that takes a wipe and reinstall of the OS to kick it in. Though I can't be 100% certain there isn't some other unapproved method to make it happen.

nelsoni
Contributor III

You can run the "sudo profiles renew -type enrollment" command, that will re-trigger DEP enrollment

nelsoni
Contributor III

I should add that if the image on the Mac is over a year old, you will have to delete the apsd.keychain file in /Library/Keychains and then restart the Mac. Then the command will work

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@nelsoni Does that work if the device wasn't originally enrolled or partially enrolled with DEP in the first place? If so, that would be good news, but I was under the impression that simply renews however the management profile came down in the first place, which, in the case of @dresslah's situation, was with a QuickAdd.pkg, not via DEP.

If it would work in this case to actually re-enroll them via a DEP method, then that would be a nice development.

nelsoni
Contributor III

if the Macs are apart of DEP and assigned to a Prestage then they will enroll. Being a part of a quickadd may change the behavior but I have never attempted that. I have used the command on hundreds of Macs that were never apart of DEP until we sighned up and got our customer numbers added to our ASM portal. Once that was done the command just worked.

nelsoni
Contributor III

you could remove the MDM profile in JAMF and then run the command if you are worried of interference

r___
New Contributor III

@dresslah Once/if those devices get assigned to your pre-stage and you remove/re-enroll them through the profiles command they may re-run any policies you have set for new enrollments through your pre-stage. Also if you have a splashbuddy/depnotifiy config, that will kick off regardless of what's already installed

@mm2270 The' jamf deleteSetupDone' command should delete the setup file so on the next restart you're prompted with the initial user account device initialization process without deleting the user that's already set up on that device

beareye321
New Contributor II

Hello, I am looking to create my first PreStage enrollment but already have most of the devices from ABM registered with Jamf so if I check "Automatically Assign New Devices" the devices which are present in BOTH ABM and Jamf will not be registered again right?

But what happens if a device exists in ABM but it's not present in Jamf? Say that we bought a device for a user, they did not register with Jamf but the machine is present in ABM. Once I enable the PreStage this machine will go through the enrollment process? What will happen with their data? Thank you